Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Janner
Bongonaut

Roof doesn't click into place

Post by Janner » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:47 am

Hi folks!

Just a query on the AFT roof.

I've sometimes had to push it the last little bit just to get it fully locked for the beeping to stop. However on giving it a go today no amount of pushing seems to stop the beeping. Is that a case of the struts needing replacing?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Roof doesn't click into place

Post by g8dhe » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:08 am

That is a very frequent cause, try cleaning the rams - the lower section - but yes normally replacing them makes the main difference.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Janner
Bongonaut

Post by Janner » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:05 pm

It seems to have sorted that issue. .However the roof light now flashes even when roof is locked down. No beeping, even when moving. Just flashing.

Getting pretty frustrated by it all
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:18 pm

Humm, the flashing and beeping are controlled by the same computer from the same signal. The two switches at the front of the roof turn the warning flash/beeps off one each side, are you sure that nothing is stopping the arms from moving to the very front under the plastic guides which are the lock ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Janner
Bongonaut

Post by Janner » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:11 pm

Yeah I've taken the mattress out and everything. No obstructions at all.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:07 am

My dashboard roof light has flashed for 13 years - faulty microswitch (drivers side) I've never bothered fixing/reolacing it as it looks tricky. The passenger side one (beeper) is also flaky but from memory i sorted that one with a sliver of tape to force contact lever to be retracted further on roof closing. But they're a pain thats for sure!
Janner
Bongonaut

Post by Janner » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:26 pm

It's typical. I've had no issues with it. I've gone to sell it (for another Bongo I hasten to add) and suddenly I have issues. Thanks for the info
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:49 pm

The roof cables run in metal channels. The cables might benefit from a lubrication with chain lube, like you'd use on a bike. (Don't use something that attracts dust.) Obviously lubricate the cables on both sides of the roof. :)
It might encourage them to operate fully and the light to go out.

Put the roof up, stand on a ladder and look down at the channel. You'll see a small slot at the top, on the aluminium, where you can spray the lube. Raise and lower the roof a few times to let it do its thing. Worth trying if you haven't.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
Janner
Bongonaut

Post by Janner » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:52 pm

Thanks! I'll give it a try as soon as the rain stops!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:11 pm

Doone wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:49 pm The roof cables run in metal channels. The cables might benefit from a lubrication with chain lube, like you'd use on a bike. (Don't use something that attracts dust.) Obviously lubricate the cables on both sides of the roof. :)
It might encourage them to operate fully and the light to go out.

Put the roof up, stand on a ladder and look down at the channel. You'll see a small slot at the top, on the aluminium, where you can spray the lube. Raise and lower the roof a few times to let it do its thing. Worth trying if you haven't.
Great tip. Never knew that and will give it a go :-)
Janner
Bongonaut

Post by Janner » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:44 pm

[-o< I tried it. Leaving it overnight to do it's thing... not sure I've found the right channel though lol.
Janner
Bongonaut

Post by Janner » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:36 pm

So here I am now with a beeping coming from the drivers side rear ALL the time. I'm trying to sell the thing, tempted to just rid of it. I've tried everything I can find online but replacing the micro switches.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:11 pm

Might be worth checking all the connectors in line between the roof and the module, the beeper in the rear and the signal line to the warning system come from separate outputs, given that the situation has changed a couple of times it might just be a dirty connector plug, if you pull each one give a blast of WD40 on both ends and reconnect them it might just clear the problem the connectors are marked M2-03(two parts) and M2-04 on the roof itself and the module connector M2-01

Otherwise it might possibly be a faulty control module, but that is a frequent cause at all!!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:19 am

Here's another post from Geoff about this problem, he's done another diagram that might also be useful. :) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69216&p=653143&hili ... 2A#p653180
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
Janner
Bongonaut

Post by Janner » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:25 am

Is there a fuse I can take out just to stop the beeping?

Return to “Techie Stuff”