Fiamma 45i Brackets

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Mark Wilson
Bongonaut

Fiamma 45i Brackets

Post by Mark Wilson » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:31 pm

I've just finished repairing serious roof level corrosion caused by the T3 type brackets to the Fiamma 45i awning, the brackets which clamp to the gutter. I'm tempted to change these to the stainless ones from mazdabongo.com, which utilise the bolts to the D hoops. What is confusing me is that mazdabongo.com's website says that after fitting the stainless brackets "You can now attach the Fiamma flat plates and continue with the normal Fiamma fitting". The problem is that having acquired the awning with my Bongo I only have the two T3 type brackets, not a flat plate, nor do I know exactly what it looks like.

Have any of you replaced your brackets with these stainless adapters? I'm assuming the Fiamma flat plate hooks into the top slot on the back of the awning case, similar to the T3 bracket. Would it be possible to cut down the T3 bracket and just use its upper section bolted to the stainless adapters?

Mark
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Fiamma 45i Brackets

Post by g8dhe » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:52 pm

My roof level corrosion was more due to the missing sealant where the roof section rests on the "gutter" at the top of the side panels. Where the Fiamma clamps were I didn't have corrosion, they kept the roof clamped to the gutter section, but between the clamps where the sealant was missing the rust had started and then spread. See the images here http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/tin_worm/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:13 am

I've just reinstalled my F45 with the mazdabongo brackets for exactly the same reason. The new brackets fit really well.

You might be able to reuse the old fiamma brackets but the problem will be at the bottom edge. The recommended fiamma brackets have a lip at the bottom edge and you drill and screw up through this into the bottom of the awning. You can see the arrangement here -

https://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/fiamma-ad ... gJgxfD_BwE

I guess you could screw through the back of the awning into the old brackets (and through the new mazdabongo brackets) and bold all the way through.
RobinTurner
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by RobinTurner » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:41 am

I had corrosion where the fiamma bongo brackets bent the gutter and rubbed through the paint.
I've now fitted three stainless brackets to the plates under the aft and bought an additional alloy mounting plate from eBay that fits into the slot on the back of the f45i. The stainless brackets are now bedded down on X8 adhesive sealant from screw fix, which not only keeps them in place but also keeps the water out.
I posted pics on one of the bongo Facebook forums about how I did it a a few months ago.
Mark Wilson
Bongonaut

Post by Mark Wilson » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:08 am

Fantastic responses, thanks. The corrosion was entirely due to paint failure and neglect by previous owners. At the front bracket the outer skin had holed through and had been patched with a glob of fibreglass which had come loose. Fortunately this was on the small vertical flat section, so I was able to cut back to sound metal and weld a patch in. Apart from the rusty bit which I've cut out the inner steel looked fine, so different from your unfortunate experience g8dhe. (I have experience of much worse with my Morris Minor...)

jimmo62, that makes it a lot clearer, although the £60 or so on top of the £100+ for the stainless brackets does add up.

Robin, Ebay was a great suggestion, thanks - I've just ordered these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiamma-Awnin ... Swr7ZcN6Bp

Don't and won't do Facebook, much to the frustration of my family... :roll:

Thanks again

Mark
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:28 pm

Looks like the kit you got off eBay is the right one, that's what I used. Simple to fit, just leave the bolts on the kit loose until you have screwed the awning to these brackets as they will need to move up and down on the mazdabongo brackets to get everything aligned.

Return to “Techie Stuff”