Fan belt shredded 2 litre petrol

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Yabadabadoo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Fan belt shredded 2 litre petrol

Post by Yabadabadoo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi guys and gals

I broke down yesterday and had to be recovered home. One of my fan belts started screaming and then shredded itself to bits and resulted in very hard steering, like lack of power steering.

I have a 2 litre petrol Bongo the year is 1999. Can anyone tell me if there are 2 belts or 3 belts as I may as well replace them all at the same time. Also what are they called - are they "Multi V drive belt" and "Air Con belt" or if anyone could give me parts numbers that would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Chris
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: Fan belt shredded 2 litre petrol

Post by Flanners » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:52 pm

In the club shop air con and alternator belts, there is obviously also the cam belt.

https://bongoland.co.uk/product-category/belts/
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:54 pm

On the 2 litre petrol there is one aircon belt and one alternator belt. (There's also a timing belt, but forget that for now). The alt belt is a grooved belt, Gates part number6PK1183. The aircon belt is toothed, Gates 6471MC.

(Flanners, you beat me to this bit): Both are stocked by the Bongoland shop see https://bongoland.co.uk/product-category/belts/. Fitting instructions are in the members area on the main BF website.

Belts shred for a number of reasons and you need to find out why. Earlier this week we were made aware of a shredded alternator belt on a 2 litre Bongo which was caused by a misaligned pulley.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Yabadabadoo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Yabadabadoo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:30 pm

Thank you very much for the information. Much appreciated!

Return to “Techie Stuff”