Wow!!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Timandclaire
Bongonaut

Wow!!

Post by Timandclaire » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:37 am

I said i'd update on another thread..though i think it would have been missed by many.

I cannot believe how much difference a new atf filter and atf fluid change has made!

I was suffering from jerky gearchanges especially 1st to 2nd gear quite fierce infact and throughout the drive everything felt very mechanical.
Now i don't notice the changes at all and it seems to rev far more freely,excelerates far smoother and kicks down seamlessly.

I am convinced that overtime the filter clogs up and inhibits the flow of atf this combined with less viscous (old) fluid starves the gearbox and effects the pressures within the gearbox.

It didn't take long either an hour if that,i strongly recommend when refreshing the atf to change the filter as well i don't think cleaning it is enough.

Atb Tim
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Wow!!

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:54 am

Timandclaire wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:37 am I said i'd update on another thread..though i think it would have been missed by many.

I cannot believe how much difference a new atf filter and atf fluid change has made!

I was suffering from jerky gearchanges especially 1st to 2nd gear quite fierce infact and throughout the drive everything felt very mechanical.
Now i don't notice the changes at all and it seems to rev far more freely,excelerates far smoother and kicks down seamlessly.

I am convinced that overtime the filter clogs up and inhibits the flow of atf this combined with less viscous (old) fluid starves the gearbox and effects the pressures within the gearbox.

It didn't take long either an hour if that,i strongly recommend when refreshing the atf to change the filter as well i don't think cleaning it is enough.

Atb Tim
Very interesting post, and noted with thanks for next time =D>
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:23 am

Where did you get the ATF filter?
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:10 am

Timandclaire wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:37 am ...I was suffering from jerky gearchanges especially 1st to 2nd gear quite fierce infact and throughout the drive everything felt very mechanical...

...I am convinced that overtime the filter clogs up and inhibits the flow of atf this combined with less viscous (old) fluid starves the gearbox and effects the pressures within the gearbox...

Atb Tim

Good result, it shows why a gearbox service (fluid change & filter clean) should be carried out.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
Timandclaire
Bongonaut

Post by Timandclaire » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:05 pm

nth wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:23 am Where did you get the ATF filter?
Ebay jap spares £50
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:50 pm

This one might fit your vehicle , check with seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transmission ... 3081771154
Timandclaire
Bongonaut

Post by Timandclaire » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:55 am

teenmal wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:50 pm This one might fit your vehicle , check with seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transmission ... 3081771154
Looks very similar, had i not already bought and fitted one i'd have taken a punt on one of those

Return to “Techie Stuff”