Overheating

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Cuvner
Apprentice Bongonaut

Overheating

Post by Cuvner » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Soo my bongo has been on one hell of a journey, literally!

12months ago it had a brand new head aft3e radiator failure and overheated warping head, after that it suffered regular overheating due to suspected crack in cyclinder that wasn’t noticed and never diagnosed, jolop added and over heating stopped.

FFw 6 months overheating returns and a quick removal of thermostat solves issue, after weeks of testing decided to drive to Spain, after 8 hours solid driving it overheated, stop, cooled down added water and it continues to drive fine.

Drive to Portugal and back never exceeding 60mph and with regular stops to top up water and it did it reliably with occasion rise in temp over mountains or stupid;y hot days.

Drive in the night and it never overheated, regular short drives and never overheats.

Today the water pump failed, I’m not 100% sure new pump was fitted when head was replaced, would a new pump fail after 12 months use?

I have many questions and all this time was the issue a faulty pump ?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Overheating

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Sadly impossible to say if the water pump caused the original problem, but it does sound like there's a lot to sort out. :(

Which engine do you have? Was the work carried out by a Bongo Savvy garage? Has it been bled properly after each 'event'?
Cuvner
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Overheating

Post by Cuvner » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:47 pm

My father arranged original garage to repair the van so I don’t know who did it but it wasn’t any garage advertised on here. It’s a 2.5 turbo diesel 96’

I will start with the pump and see what results I get. Would a cracked cylinder result in poor engine running/performance or could a crack go undetected for just small journeys etc?

Return to “Techie Stuff”