Overheating - Looking for troubleshooting steps

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Overheating - Looking for troubleshooting steps

Post by g8dhe » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:33 pm

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:48 am

That's not a good story - surely Bongo Spares should know to advise the 3 way thing and bleed hose needs fitting. A non Bongo garage might understandably not realise but..... On the loss of power, i recall there is a little vacuum hose to the turbo that, if knocked off leaves the engine very down on power. I'm not a techie and can't remember the details but hopefully someone can advise, or have a search of old posts.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:41 am

Thsts a good point about the turbo Mike. It could be something as simple as a pipe not connected.
Let's hope so.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
surfkernow
Bongonaut

Post by surfkernow » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:00 pm

Thank you for the replies. If it was not for the continued help for people on this forum I would have given up a long time ago, so i do appreciate the replies and help.

I ordered a 3 way adapter from mazdabongo on ebay and it arrived today so amazingly quick delivery. The local garage are being quite fair to me. They let me strip down my Bongo in their yard to take out the cylinder head alarm which was posted yesterday to be repaired.

Once I have the alarm back, I will get the adaptor installed and the bleed pipe connected and bleed it myself at the garage. I have bled it about 17 times since I purchased it following the youtube videos so have more confidence in me doing it than the garage. I will wait for the alarm to come back as it does help when bleeding...as we all know now : the temp gauge tends to go from 11am to max in a few seconds so the cylinder head alarm is vital in letting me know the temperature in real time.

Thank you for the tip on the turbo and vacuum hose. Once the Van is bled I will ask the garage to move into that. I am tempted to take it and fix it myself but they should be able to rectify their own mistake.

I did a lot of searching on the forum last night and a fuel /banjo filter , wastegate and vacuum hose. The fuel filter was changed a few months back, so my bet is on the vacuum hose. It might not be until next week that I get to test that idea, but I will update the thread. I will post a photo of my old cylinder head in a few minutes.
surfkernow
Bongonaut

Post by surfkernow » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:15 pm

Photo of the cylinder head that was removed. No apparent cracks, and the photo was taken a few days after it was removed....it could be the crack(s) are too small for the eye??

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ku1EvExfU82Q95t58
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:07 am

You may need to remove the valves to find owt as they can crack up inside, doesn't look good on the gasket between 2 and 3 though does it.
The 3 way steel pipe out of the head to the turbo and bleed pipe looks holes too.
Good luck.
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:58 am

Yep doesn't look too good between 2 and 3 or 1 and 2 really. I'd also be a bit suspicious about that black marking between 1 and the water jacket leading to the 3 way connector. my guy who skimmed mine said they were prone to crack between the valve seats as mentioned above. when I changed out my 3 way I had the connector in the freezer for a few days before on the advice of a posting on here to make sure I could get it started into the interference fit hole ok. Brave of you to tackle that job with the head still in place.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
surfkernow
Bongonaut

Post by surfkernow » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:46 pm

Northern Bongolow - thank you. I never seen a cylinder head before so was not sure what to look for apart from blatant cracks. This one is a return item as it makes up part of the cost of the new head i purchased so i don't want to strip it down. I was tempted to re use the 3 way pipe but did not want to invalidate my return or have a weak point in the head when everything else is brand new.

JulesMartin - Thank you. Out of interest is number 1 on the far left? The head has been fitted and it ain't coming off now :) so the 3 way pipe will have to go on as is. Do you have a link regarding putting the 3 way in a freezer? Can you remember the reasoning?

I hoped it would be a case of removing the existing 2 way adapter , losing some liquid and sealing in the new one, re connecting and then bleeding the hell out of the van?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:56 pm

The 3-way elbow is a force fitted, interference fit item, see here for some discussion https://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum ... 36#p402536 , I suspect the main problem is that given the shape its difficult to hold / hammer into position ....
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
surfkernow
Bongonaut

Post by surfkernow » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:07 pm

Hi Geoff - thank you for your reply....just done some reading and I understand the task ahead of me a bit better....

I guess the adapter is something that should go in but not come out easily.....I probably won't attempt this until next week. Possible the garage will help but as i am not paying them as I am out of money at the moment...I could end up trying this myself in their yard next week....
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:12 pm

You are aware that this is a common problem and another solution is to add a "T" piece into the feed to the turbo this then allows you to add the bleed pipe, rather than having to remove the 2-way elbow and fit the 3-way one ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
surfkernow
Bongonaut

Post by surfkernow » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:33 pm

Hi Geoff, I was not aware ; this was not a hurdle I anticipated when I purchased the new Cylinder Head kit. I was told it had everything I needed. The T pipe makes a lot of sense but I have already purchased a genuine Mazda 3 way adapter .

I will try and get it fitted next week at the garage. I am waiting for the cylinder head temperature alarm to arrive back before attempting to change this and bleed the system.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:06 pm

It occurred to me that it would be a lot easier to fit given that your working away from your own facilities, you would need a freezer spray and ideally heating the engine (possibly) to fit the 3-way and then the fun of hammering in the 3-way gently. You could crimp the turbo pipe before cutting, insert the "T" piece with Bleed tube attached and sealed, then release the crimps and not loose any coolant, just carefully let the air out of the bleed tube before commencing the full bleed procedure.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:26 am

...Do you have a link regarding putting the 3 way in a freezer? Can you remember the reasoning?
The link below is the only info I can find about freezing the 3-way adaptor.

Some metal contracts when frozen and expands when heated, so the freezing idea is the hope of getting it to shrink a little, to make fitting easier.
Some members have put the adaptor in the fridge, others use pipe freeze-spray, the stuff plumbers use

It can be fitted without freezing. It can be tricky and fiddly, just take your time. Apparently they do sometimes fit easily too. :)

There's a couple of posts about it on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27333&p=402536#p402536
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:09 am

surfkernow wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:46 pm Northern Bongolow - thank you. I never seen a cylinder head before so was not sure what to look for apart from blatant cracks. This one is a return item as it makes up part of the cost of the new head i purchased so i don't want to strip it down. I was tempted to re use the 3 way pipe but did not want to invalidate my return or have a weak point in the head when everything else is brand new.

JulesMartin - Thank you. Out of interest is number 1 on the far left? The head has been fitted and it ain't coming off now :) so the 3 way pipe will have to go on as is. Do you have a link regarding putting the 3 way in a freezer? Can you remember the reasoning?

I hoped it would be a case of removing the existing 2 way adapter , losing some liquid and sealing in the new one, re connecting and then bleeding the hell out of the van?
Sorry for the delay and yes No.1 is to the right in the photo and front of engine. Other more eminent than I have already answered your other questions re the 3way. I did add a T piece into the Turbo water supply hose prior to replacing my head whilst i still had the two way connector and you can bleed it successfully like that but bear in mind the diameter of the tube to the turbo is slightly smaller than the bleed hose and I think it took quite a bit longer for it to bleed fully which i put down to the smaller volume of water flow and it not being quite at the top of the engine but small potatoes in the scheme of things.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted

Return to “Techie Stuff”