Cobra 8510 immobiliser

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Timandclaire
Bongonaut

Cobra 8510 immobiliser

Post by Timandclaire » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:49 am

Does anyone have any tips on fitting? The instructions are not the most comprehensive!

Thanks
nth
Bongolier

Re: Cobra 8510 immobiliser

Post by nth » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:12 pm

Is it a petrol or diesel ?
It looks very similar to the older 802T model, I used to install loads of these.
The instructions are not very comprehensive as it will install differently to different makes of vehicle.
I wont go into exact specifics of the Bongo as that wouldn't be a good idea on an open forum.
Make sure you use an ignition live that doesn't drop out on cranking, this is very important.
If you are following Thatcham guidelines (unless they have changed in 15 years), You must use any anti tamper screws to secure the main unit (if they are supplied with it)
The 2 earth wires need to be fixed to ground at least 30cm apart (don't join the two of them).
All wire joints must be soldered & insulated.
Don't make connections at obvious points like the steering column,, its the fist place a car thief will go.
Wherever you install the unit & make connections should be reasonably inaccessible without the use of tools. You want to bury the unit & connections as deep as possible.
Tape any wiring back into original looms to hide as much of it as possible.
You will want to use the starter feed as one of the cuts, again don't cut the wire right at the back of the ignition switch as its the most obvious place, follow the wiring down further.
Assuming its a diesel you will want to cut the circuit of fuse 9, you must make the cut after the fuse somewhere. If you cut it before the fuse it would be too easily defeated.
If its a petrol you want to cut the fuel pump supply, ive never worked on petrol bongo so cant be more specific.
In recent years I have probably removed more of these than I have fitted, they fail eventually (its basically just 2 relays in the box) or the keys get lost/broken. I don't think I have had one yet take me more than 15 minutes to bypass & that's due to lazy installation.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
Timandclaire
Bongonaut

Re: Cobra 8510 immobiliser

Post by Timandclaire » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Brilliant! Nth..that's a big help and yes it is a diesel i've been quoted £90 all in by a Thatcham approved fitter so i'm trying to get my head around whether to fit it myself to save a few quid,where possible i try to do everything myself.

Thanks again

Return to “Techie Stuff”