Melted alternator cable

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

LJColeman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Melted alternator cable

Post by LJColeman » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:42 pm

Good evening all,

I have recently come across 2 issues with my Bongo Bus that I would like your help with:

Issue 1 - when accelerating the battery charge & sediment light comes on. At idle it seems to go out.
I have checked the voltage coming out of the alternator and with nothing switched on at idle it was about 13.6 volts, if I then switched the lights and aircon on this dropped to 12.4 volts.

Whilst checking the voltage I noticed the main power cable from the back of the alternator seems to be very melted, is this my fault?

Obviously I need to replace the cable, do I repair a section or replace the whole cable? If the latter how long is the cable and where does it collect to.?

Issue 2 - it doesn't seem to like 4th gear. When driving I get up to around 45mph and it will select 4th but after 30 seconds or so it seems to jump back out of 4th and then it won't select it again for ages.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Melted alternator cable

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:02 am

if it's diesel check to see if the No1exhaust manifold stud is loose /snapped, nut missing etc, look for black sooty marks, this may have melted the alternator cable.
LJColeman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Melted alternator cable

Post by LJColeman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:20 am

Thank you I will check this, it looks like it's been rubbing against the dipstick tube.

Return to “Techie Stuff”