Rev Counter slow to start

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Rev Counter slow to start

Post by Eratosthenes » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:29 am

I have a V6 year 2000 tin top.
For the last few journeys/days my rev counter hasn't worked for the first few miles, then when it does decide to, it acts normally.
If I am parked for a short time then it works on start up, but doesn't if parked for a few hours.
Everything else appears to be fine and functioning well.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
(We are in the middle of a camping trip in mid Wales at the moment).
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Rev Counter slow to start

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:58 pm

Low battery, or alternator failing could be worth checking .
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:34 pm

Battery voltage engine not running 12.56 v engine running 14.55v showing at main battery and leisure battery. Went on a short trip earlier and Rev counter worked right away there and back.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:25 pm

At initial switch on does your Charge light come on? Then when the engine is running does it go off ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:01 pm

It does Geoff - go out when engine starts.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:44 pm

Well that does indicate that the Charge circuit is working and the Alternator thinks that it is charging, could still be a dead battery not holding charge or a problem with one of its connections.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:48 pm

Thanks Geoff and Northern Bongolow for replying.
This morning first thing I had a prod and poke around the battery terminals and connections. Later today we did about 160 miles with some stops and the rev counter behaved as it should.
After doing some searching google about battery information I realised my main battery has a magic eye and some information in Japanese. It isn't showing green as per the diagram, but black. I guess that this indicates the battery is approaching the end of its life? It is a sealed battery and I cannot check or add distilled water. When I return home it the battery will be replaced with a Bosch. I will be cleaning all the connections at the same time. However I do have a question with regards to doing this and would appreciate advice on the following. There is an immobiliser fitted but the fob has seen better days so I avoid using it. I know that when I change the battery it will set the alarm off when I turn the ignition on. I have looked in to having the immobiliser removed which I think is now a priority. Is it ok to keep the system energised by taking parallel connections from the leisure battery, ensuring they don't make contact with anything. I dont understand exactly how the split charging loom works and I am not sure if this would be detrimental to this. So any advice would be appreciated.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:24 pm

The green "eye" shows the state of charge, if its staying in Black then that suggests either not being charged or a dead battery, most garages can test the battery itself with either a modern tester or a "drop" tester to see how much charge is being retained. However if its an original Jap battery then the chances are its well beyond its life having been left to go flat during its journey over here!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:52 am

I have owned the Bongo since imported and that is just over 4 years so I guess the battery has just about had it. I will go to a garage /battery supplier and do as you say Geoff and get it checked under load to confirm.
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:16 pm

I changed the battery a couple of weeks ago and the rev counter behaved perfectly and I thought that was the culprit. However today the rev counter has decided not to work again.
I will check the voltages at the battery with the engine running and with various loads (A/C Headlights etc).
Has anyone any other suggestions. I have looked at various loom connectors for making good fit and being clean.
Thanks in anticipation.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:08 am

Could be an intermittent sensor, not heard of many problems on the V6 however, but can't be rules out without checking its 18-230 on this diagram http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... no=.html#2
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:20 pm

Geoff thanks for the information. I know it may be basic to some but I am having trouble actually locating the sensor. I have searched the forum and although there is a photo I cannot make out where it actually is? Any pointers appreciated.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:23 pm

Yup here is the position, bit of a sod to reach I think. If you have a meter its should show a resistance of 110-150 Ohms.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:46 pm

Geoff - that's perfect - many thanks.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:35 am

Yes, well done Geoff for removing the engine from your Bongo just to take a photo of the sensor. Hope it doesn't take too long to re-assemble it....
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.

Return to “Techie Stuff”