Rev Counter slow to start

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Rev Counter slow to start

Post by g8dhe » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Well at least I can see it again now! Think it was actually Simon Jones engine and I saved the images a while ago just keep adding arrows to relevant parts!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:36 am

If it works / fits in anything like the diesel version remove wipe its face and put it back did the trick on mine, mine was covered in oil so was reading weird sometimes, on the diesel there's an 0 ring around the sensor to seal the casing, mind you don't leave it in or it drops out unseen if you remove it.
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:00 pm

I appreciate the advice, now I know what I am looking for, I will remove clean it, put a meter across it and look out for the O ring.
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:02 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:58 pm Low battery, or alternator failing could be worth checking .
I replaced my battery and for a while things improved. However the problem started creeping back. Yesterday morning I was ready to start having a look at the crank sensor. I started the engine to turn my bongo around and low and behold the alternator warning light was on!
I contacted A and S Motors in Caerphilly and managed the half hour drive to get my van there.
Today they confirmed it was the alternator and a replacement has been ordered.
Northern Bongolow was spot on with the comments, which I appreciate. I am intrigued to learn how/why the alternator output affects the rev counter.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:54 pm

If the alternator is not charging the battery, the battery voltage will slowly reduce, the electronics in cars/vans is designed to shutdown gradually with the least critical bits first ending up leaving tail lights as the last things if at all possible!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:39 am

Thanks Geoff - I didn't know that.

Return to “Techie Stuff”