Commercial tyres

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Timandclaire
Bongonaut

Commercial tyres

Post by Timandclaire » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:51 am

I have Austone CSR71 195/70r/15c 104/102n 8pr load range D Tyres fitted.
All of my research points towards Commercial (Van) tyres.
I'm wrestling with what tyre pressures i should run? I've read 65psi which sounds high then a host of other suggestions on various forums.
Having never run commercial tyres before i'm looking for a bit of advice.

What would you do?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Commercial tyres

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:55 am

Timandclaire wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:51 am I have Austone CSR71 195/70r/15c 104/102n 8pr load range D Tyres fitted.
All of my research points towards Commercial (Van) tyres.
I'm wrestling with what tyre pressures i should run? I've read 65psi which sounds high then a host of other suggestions on various forums.
Having never run commercial tyres before i'm looking for a bit of advice.

What would you do?
Never heard of more than 40psi all round being used, but 70 is an unusually deep walled tyre on a Bongo so wouldnt know about those. Do they improve ground clearance much and how does the Bongo handle with them?
Timandclaire
Bongonaut

Post by Timandclaire » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:01 am

They seem very good in every respect hence why i would like to get the best from them i.e correct tyre pressures when i bought the van they had 34psi a corner but looked low when fully loaded so i upped them to 36psi a corner i spoke to a tyre place this morning that recommended between 40 and 50 psi..

Confused would be an understatement!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:43 am

Timandclaire wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:01 am They seem very good in every respect hence why i would like to get the best from them i.e correct tyre pressures when i bought the van they had 34psi a corner but looked low when fully loaded so i upped them to 36psi a corner i spoke to a tyre place this morning that recommended between 40 and 50 psi..

Confused would be an understatement!
Thanks for that update. I guess one strategy would be to settle on a given tyre pressure and watch tread wear - if its more in the middle it'd suggest pressure too high. As long as tyre walls look ok at ground contact area (and unless there's firm evidence this tyre size needs a higher pressure) I'd start at the lower end (40 psi) and see how you get on. Higher pressure = harsher ride so best starting at the low end i reckon :-)
Timandclaire
Bongonaut

Post by Timandclaire » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:00 pm

I tried 40 rear and 38 front this weekend..i noticed that the max load rating on the tyre wall is quoted at 65psi!

Return to “Techie Stuff”