Air leak from pillar behind drivers head

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

howlingbaboon
Apprentice Bongonaut

Air leak from pillar behind drivers head

Post by howlingbaboon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:37 am

Hi All,

Sorry didn't know how else to describe the problem (which may be why searching hasn't helped :) )

So when I turn the ignition half way (electrics etc) I hear and feel a noticeable current of air coming from the pillar behind the drivers side head rest around the point where it meets the roof. This carries on when the car is started and when running.

The van is a 97/98 model and has an aftermarket "sky lift" roof which was installed by JAL

I haven't had any panels off to investigate further yet (partly as I don't know how to without risking damaging anything)
Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Dave
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Air leak from pillar behind drivers head

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:53 am

howlingbaboon wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:37 am Hi All,

Sorry didn't know how else to describe the problem (which may be why searching hasn't helped :) )

So when I turn the ignition half way (electrics etc) I hear and feel a noticeable current of air coming from the pillar behind the drivers side head rest around the point where it meets the roof. This carries on when the car is started and when running.

The van is a 97/98 model and has an aftermarket "sky lift" roof which was installed by JAL

I haven't had any panels off to investigate further yet (partly as I don't know how to without risking damaging anything)
Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Dave
Never heard of anything like that before but presume there must be the noise of a fan working somewhere and that is generating the draught? Have to get on the detective trail i think. Good luck and keep us posted. [-X
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:32 am

Have you got vents in the roof between cab and rear section? If so could be it has become unclipped or something allowing the air to leak out. See this diagram https://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/ ... mgno=.html
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:35 am

The rear aircon has outlets just behind the driving cab at ceiling level, normally pointing rearwards, when I turn the rear aircon on in mine I can certainly feel an airflow as air is pulled rearwards from the airflow out of the vents, I wonder if it is this you can feel ? Or has someone blanked off the vents and yet not removed the aircon so the air is finding its own outlet ? Whichever turn the rear aircon off and see if it changes things ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:30 pm

g8dhe wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:35 am The rear aircon has outlets just behind the driving cab at ceiling level, normally pointing rearwards, when I turn the rear aircon on in mine I can certainly feel an airflow as air is pulled rearwards from the airflow out of the vents, I wonder if it is this you can feel ? Or has someone blanked off the vents and yet not removed the aircon so the air is finding its own outlet ? Whichever turn the rear aircon off and see if it changes things ?
Doh of course, I was thinking they meant key in the Acc position but they probably meant when in the starting position #-o
howlingbaboon
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by howlingbaboon » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:10 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I think the rear air con unit was all removed when the roof was fitted. It sounds likely then that some of the plumbing that may have been blocked off when it was all removed is flowing again. It's definitely not draft from outside as it only starts when I turn the key (one click before ignition) and is regular constant flow of air. Sound right?

Does anyone know how easy it is to remove the panel above and around the drivers top seat belt attachment? Just don't want to dive in and break something if there's a knack to it.

Cheers
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:58 pm

Rather than mess about with the interior have you thought about removing the rear heater fuse? It is marked in the fuse box under the bonnet. It might work and twenty seconds effort in that regard could save a lot of time and frustration - just a thought!
Ian G
howlingbaboon
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by howlingbaboon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:56 am

That sounds like a much more sensible solution! :) Will give that a go. Cheers!
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:54 am

As Geoff has said, why not simply turn the rear heating Off with the switch on the dash??

Return to “Techie Stuff”