Head been done?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Timandclaire
Bongonaut

Head been done?

Post by Timandclaire » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:41 am

I'm curious given the propensity for failure whether my heads been done already..

250,000 kilometers on a 96N.

Is there a way to tell if it has been done?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Head been done?

Post by g8dhe » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:27 am

The heads don't fail in there own right from wear, what happens is that the coolant system gets a blockage of some type and then the coolant boils inside the engine, this eventually clears and the shock of the much cooler coolant hitting the head causes it to crack. OK that's a bit of a simplification but its the cause of most head failures, suggestions of head gasket failure is normally a garage telling you the cheapest option and when they get the head off they either then find its a cracked head or don't check and the problem remains!
Only by inspecting the head can you find out if its been changed, and then if its a genuine head you still might have a problem telling if its been in place a while!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:38 pm

There is a specific casting mark on the side face of the head to distinguish it from various copy heads, sorry cannot remember what it is though,🤔but it could have had a replacement genuine Mazda head and you wouldn't really be any wiser.
A gen engine and head should last several life times with just routine maintenance, one I know had double yours has on it without a blip. The problem appears to be what is routine maintenance.
Timandclaire
Bongonaut

Post by Timandclaire » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:14 am

Thanks Gents..i'm a bit ocd when it comes to keeping an eye on levels and am all too aware of the age of the pipework etc,not afraid to get my hands dirty either

Return to “Techie Stuff”