Aircon woes - remove condenser?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Alkers
Bongolier

Aircon woes - remove condenser?

Post by Alkers » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:37 am

I brought my bongo to have the Aircon regassed a couple of months ago (it had never worked in my ownership).
Worked great for a few days but no longer does anything so I brought it back to him there and he can see leaks at what I think is the pump or maybe compressor (he mentioned o ring replacement) but more worryingly he said the condenser looked like it was leaking too.
I've looked at the cost of replacement condensers there and that pretty much rules out it ever being worthwhile repairing.
Would it be worth removing the condenser all together for better airflow to the radiator? Is there another condenser for the rear?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Aircon woes - remove condenser?

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:41 am

There is only one condenser and that is mounted to the right of the radiator. Someone reported recently on finding a replacement that looked like it might fit but I haven't seen any update since. See here viewtopic.php?p=702167#p702167
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:11 pm

Alkers wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:37 am I brought my bongo to have the Aircon regassed a couple of months ago (it had never worked in my ownership).
Worked great for a few days but no longer does anything so I brought it back to him there and he can see leaks at what I think is the pump or maybe compressor (he mentioned o ring replacement) but more worryingly he said the condenser looked like it was leaking too.
I've looked at the cost of replacement condensers there and that pretty much rules out it ever being worthwhile repairing.
Would it be worth removing the condenser all together for better airflow to the radiator? Is there another condenser for the rear?
Would Bongospares possibly be able to sell you a used one from their stock of breaking Bongos?
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:06 pm

I’m not sure if there is some mixed up terminology here or whether it’s me. My understanding is that the condenser is basically a radiator (the small one at the front). You can’t remove the condenser from the loop because it essential for heat exchange in the aircon system. I believe they are pretty expensive to replace. The linked thread I believe is all about replacing the receiver drier (something I’ve done recently). Other main components are the compressor (driven from engine, found below the alternator) and evaporator (dead center under bonnet, accessed by removing cabin air intake and fan bits and pieces)

There is only an evaporator / heater matrix / fan in rear

Having rebuilt my entire AC system recently I reckon you could fit any old condenser of similar capability if you could mount it and braze up some adapters for the pipe work but that’s a pretty serious undertaking and most of the resources for this kind of work are in the USA
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:34 am

Yes, I'm working off the same interpretation as you,my condenser and evaporator I think.
Given the cost of these items, I'm thinking I will not repair them and abandon the AC system all together.
Then, accepting that, I'm wondering about removing the condenser in order to improve airflow to the radiator underneath
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:09 am

g8dhe wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:41 am There is only one condenser and that is mounted to the right of the radiator. Someone reported recently on finding a replacement that looked like it might fit but I haven't seen any update since. See here viewtopic.php?p=702167#p702167
Geoff,the receiver drier is the component that is mounted there,the condenser is the radiatot (A/C).

Just to save any confusion .

take care.
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:36 am

You could try a Universal Condenser of the right size and make up the mountings to suit. https://www.autoairconparts.co.uk/universal-condensers.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:57 pm

teenmal wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:09 am
g8dhe wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:41 am There is only one condenser and that is mounted to the right of the radiator. Someone reported recently on finding a replacement that looked like it might fit but I haven't seen any update since. See here viewtopic.php?p=702167#p702167
Geoff,the receiver drier is the component that is mounted there,the condenser is the radiatot (A/C).

Just to save any confusion .

take care.
Yup your right! Wasn't thinking clearly at the time, I knew I had seen something before about replacements for the drier etc.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:52 pm

Hello alkers
I found this condenser at mazdabongo .com but it seems to be for the later model bus and its expensive !
A universal condenser wound be a great idea , I see the pipe connections as the main problem though .
I wonder if anyone on here has done anything like this ?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76486
please keep us in the loop
Brian
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:19 am

Hi there, I had aircon issues when I first charged the bongo.
Have a look underneath on the drivers side where the 2 pipes lead into the rear heater matrix and see if you can spot any moisture at the connectors.
With mine I had it charged and 2 weeks later it was blowing hot again. When I found the moisture I replaced an o ring on the HP pipe and charged it again and has worked perfectly since, 1 and half years now.
Hope this helps
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:00 pm

Merlot man wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:52 pm Hello alkers
I found this condenser at mazdabongo .com but it seems to be for the later model bus and its expensive !
A universal condenser wound be a great idea , I see the pipe connections as the main problem though .

Brian
Hi Brian,

I've just found this on Bongo spares:
https://www.bongospares.co.uk/shop/engi ... tor-2-5td/

Best of luck
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:47 pm

Alkers wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:00 pm
Merlot man wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:52 pm Hello alkers

Brian
Hi Brian,

I've just found this on Bongo spares:
https://www.bongospares.co.uk/shop/engi ... tor-2-5td/

Hello alkers
Thanks for the link . To be fair to bongo spares they will only sell you a known good part ........ But I'm more interested in a new item I this regard as I think they will work better .
As it happens my AC is not working at the minute , I need to get some Alu welding done ..... More difficult than you might think !!!
The joys of running an old car :lol:
Thanks again , I appreciate the help
Brian

Best of luck
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:23 am

My condenser is knackered so I’ve sourced a Mercedes one that I can alter pipe work on cost was £27
893FC706-9F5B-47D6-9515-825CFDD14510.jpeg
50720335-E9DD-4C04-BCFE-1E5F417BAD03.jpeg

Return to “Techie Stuff”