Solar Panel Not Charging LB

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Solar Panel Not Charging LB

Post by digitalgypsy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:33 pm

Hi all,

First and foremost, thanks as always for advice. Here is my problem...

I had a solar panel installed a while ago by Northstar Conversions. I'm sure they installed it correctly and from what I remember it used to work. I didn't use the Bongo for a while and the leisure battery died. I installed a new leisure battery and I think ever since the solar panel/split charge relay has not been working properly.

When I turn the engine on, I can see the leisure battery voltage shoots up to 14.3. After the engine is turned off the leisure battery will eventually fall back down to 12.2. In my old Bongo, the solar panel used to keep the leisure battery topped up at about 13 or even 13.3. More to the point however is that the 'charge current' on the solar panel interface always says '0.0' so it's just not receiving any charge then is it? It can be the sunniest day with no clouds but I never see any charge current.

The last piece of info which may help - when I installed the new LB, I found one of the cables going into to the split charge relay was loose. The engine running did not charge the LB. I reattached the cable to the split charge relay with the aid of some heat shrink wrap and thereafter the LB got charged with the engine running.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a process of elimination to get the solar panel working again? Maybe it's just a fuse. I'm sure I've tried all of the fuses in the split charge relay. I can take it back to the converters but I don't want to be a pest to them!

Much appreciated,

Steve :)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Solar Panel Not Charging LB

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:11 pm

That does rather sound like the Solar controller isn't connected to the LB at all, which type is it ? Does it show the voltage coming from the Panel (be 18-22 volts), does it show the battery voltage or are you measuring the voltage with a separate meter ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Re: Solar Panel Not Charging LB

Post by digitalgypsy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:54 pm

Thanks Geoff, much appreciated. I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it on here.

Return to “Techie Stuff”