Connecting Solar Panels to PMS3

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Buzziebee18
Apprentice Bongonaut

Connecting Solar Panels to PMS3

Post by Buzziebee18 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:01 pm

We have a PMS3 in our van. Wanting to get a solar panel system going. Can I connect the solar panel controller directly to the PMS3 van connection or do I need a switch to change from Solar to EHU( on the odd occasion I may want EHU) ? If so what connections do I need to connect the solar panel controller to the PMS3.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Connecting Solar Panels to PMS3

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:11 pm

No you can parallel the Solar with the 12 volt charger, if you do that on the battery switch line you can even then choose which battery gets the benefit of the Solar charging.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Buzziebee18
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Buzziebee18 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:09 pm

Sorry for the confusion are you saying we cannot connect the solar controller to the PMS3 at all and we can't use PMS3 existing wiring to the leisure battery to run our solar panel?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:19 pm

You can use the Solar Charger quite happily with the PMS3 unit - no problems.
You can either connect it directly to the Leisure Battery in which case it will charge the LB and power items from the PMS3 when its set to use the LB,
or if you connect the Solar Charger to the PMS3 charger output - however having said that I have a feeling that the PMS3 units don't bring that connection out to the back panel, unlike the Zig units which do - then it will charge whichever battery has been selected on the front panel.
Runs off to check PMS3 manual ..... no they don't so you will have to connect to the LB feed into the PMS3 unit and not have the switching available, unless you want to undo the case and tap into it internally!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”