Electric Blind - repeated stops

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

New S Wales 2010
Bongonaut

Electric Blind - repeated stops

Post by New S Wales 2010 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:55 pm

Anyone seen this problem before? Electric blind activates and moves about a cm before cutting out, until the button is pressed again. Makes for very slow progress to open or close the blind. Only applies to one window, and makes no difference whether I use the dedicated button, or the master switch on the dashboard, which suggests the drive mechanism. (Of course, it couldnt be on the sliding door side could it!? This one is behind the cooker of the side conversion, so the whole kitchen unit will have to come out to take the panel off and gain access to the mechanism. AAAARG!) Any advice/experience appreciated.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Electric Blind - repeated stops

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:16 pm

Not come across this, but...

I really wouldn't worry about it. :wink:

The blinds can be operated manualy, just push/pull gently and away you go. 8)
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:53 am

Hazard a guess the switches, especially so if it happens using the one's in the dashboard, video on the Tube with a lady owner explaining how to remove and clean them.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:05 pm

I doubt that its the switches from the symptoms, the motors have an anti-stall feature on them to prevent the motors running once the blinds reach there limits, in this case I suspect there is extra friction on the drive chains inside that is causing the ant-stall to think that it has reached the limit, sounds like you need to clean and lightly oil the chain drives at each end.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
New S Wales 2010
Bongonaut

Post by New S Wales 2010 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:22 pm

Thanks for the various comments guys. I decided I couldn't live with a manual blind so I spent the day stripping it down, and it turned out to be a failed servo drive. Actually quite easy to remove from its mount once the internal side panel was off. As luck would have it there is a Bongo in the breakers year 1 mile from my house, so £20 got me back up and running. I have photos to share, incase they are ever of use for other Bongonaughts.

Thanks again. :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:26 am

New S Wales 2010 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:22 pm Thanks for the various comments guys. I decided I couldn't live with a manual blind so I spent the day stripping it down, and it turned out to be a failed servo drive. Actually quite easy to remove from its mount once the internal side panel was off. As luck would have it there is a Bongo in the breakers year 1 mile from my house, so £20 got me back up and running. I have photos to share, incase they are ever of use for other Bongonaughts.

Thanks again. :)
Great result. =D> Ian (guvnor at Bongo Fury) would always welcome a fact sheet with pics for adding to the collection in the members area, should you have the time and energy to do one. Or else just any guidance you could pop on this thread.
sapell
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by sapell » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:27 pm

Hi Bongonaut, any chance you could share the pic about the servo drive you mentioned . Where is the drive actually located , I can't find it.
My blinds are not working at all, I checked the fuses and switches, all ok. Blinds are not moving. Any ideas?
Thanks
sapell
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:15 pm

Might be best to first check with a meter if your getting power to the blinds, its easier than removing them! The front switches which do them in pairs have a habit of getting dust and dirt from the re-circulating air con over the contacts and if not used on a regular basis will cause problems. Best to pop them out and give them a good clean with decent contact cleaner.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
sapell
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by sapell » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:48 pm

g8dhe wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:15 pm Might be best to first check with a meter if your getting power to the blinds, its easier than removing them! The front switches which do them in pairs have a habit of getting dust and dirt from the re-circulating air con over the contacts and if not used on a regular basis will cause problems. Best to pop them out and give them a good clean with decent contact cleaner.

Thank You ...But i have alredy done these.They do not move. Sapell

Return to “Techie Stuff”