Harsh gear change 1st to 2nd

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Harsh gear change 1st to 2nd

Post by root-n-5th » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:12 pm

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help me? It's not a major problem but one that grates on my mechanically sympathetic nature.

When I pull away slowly, or normally, the automatic gear change in my 1995 Bongo diesel is not as smooth as it could be. It's not of the hard mechanical clunk variety which I've had in other cars, but it isn't smooth and there is a noticeable jerk as it changes. It's on the soft-edged side of a harsh change but it is noticeable. It doesn't rev high before the change either. All other changes are smooth, and changing down from 2nd to 1st is fine. Strange thing is, if I pull way faster the gear change is smooth.

Any ideas? It doesn't feel to me like a major issue but I could be wrong.

Thanks!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Harsh gear change 1st to 2nd

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:26 pm

Since my gearbox had a refurb last year I've had a similar sensation, nothing severe, but just feel a "kick" at times and as you say not noticeable when accelerating a little harder. I've put it down to the TPS needing a little nudge perhaps, but given that is so minor I haven't got round to trying to find which direction to nudge it in ;-)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Post by root-n-5th » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Glad it's not just me. Sorry to ask but what is the TPS?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:28 am

Throttle Position Sensor, it feeds-back the position of the throttle to the ECU, its mounted on the throttle body and has a cable attached, accessed as i recall from the passenger side at the rear of the engine.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:44 am

Mine has always given a little kick going from 1st to 2nd especially. I've got very used to it over nearly 13 years of ownership but have wondered if they're all like that or not.
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:25 am

Mine does it too.

Strangely though, if you accelerate hard it doesn't do it. I find the softer the acceleration, the harder the kick.

I do have flashing HOLD with diagnostic code for "Timing solenoid" which I'm about to replace with new solenoid pack this weekend.Hopefully it will cure it and I can report back successfully... Or not.

Does anyone have a 2.5TD with a smooth 1-2 change? I would love to know "What is normal"
root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Post by root-n-5th » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:26 am

Thanks for the feedback. I test drove one with a very harsh change - a proper clunk that get awful. Didn’t buy it.

Be interesting to know how the solenoid pack does.
Russell Jupp
Bongonaut

Post by Russell Jupp » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Mine does it too...possibly a little more noticeable for the first few 1st - 2nd gearchanges from cold.
The key to life: Fast bikes, fast cars, fast women. And a Bongo.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:32 am

Russell Jupp wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:48 pm Mine does it too...possibly a little more noticeable for the first few 1st - 2nd gearchanges from cold.
I agree. Thats where its most noticeable I think (though I've got so used to it I hardly notice!)
Timandclaire
Bongonaut

Post by Timandclaire » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:55 pm

I have the exact same issue..i was considering an atf change to see if that helped (fluid's a bit brown) now i'm beginning to wonder whether it would make any difference at all??

I had a couple of Bongo's pass through my hands circa 10yrs ago and vaguely recollect that they had similar mechanical feeling gearchanges as well.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:22 pm

Timandclaire wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:55 pm I have the exact same issue..i was considering an atf change to see if that helped (fluid's a bit brown) now i'm beginning to wonder whether it would make any difference at all??

I had a couple of Bongo's pass through my hands circa 10yrs ago and vaguely recollect that they had similar mechanical feeling gearchanges as well.
Changing mine made no difference but, anyway, its something I've got used to. And since I aim anyway to spend most of my time on the open road, in top gear........... :lol: 8)
root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Post by root-n-5th » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:31 pm

Bit of an update on this. Have driven the Bongo quite a lot over the last couple of weeks and the change from first to second seems to be a bit smoother. Could it be the warm weather, or is it just getting run in at 233k km?

Return to “Techie Stuff”