Nearside electric window problem...

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

barney_the_bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Nearside electric window problem...

Post by barney_the_bongo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi,
I have a problem with the nearside electric window: It will go down but not up when using the switch in the passenger side door. It won't do anything with the switch in the driver's door. I've studied the wiring diagrams and read everything I can on the forum but can't work out what is going on. Any advice would be very welcome! :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Nearside electric window problem...

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi. :)

A common electrical fault is where the loom passes from the A pillar into the door, usualy the driver's side.

If you strip off some of the insulation often you can see breaks in the wires and/or insulation.

Easy enough to solder in a short extra piece, or new looms are available, but not cheap. :wink:

Good luck.
barney_the_bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by barney_the_bongo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:55 pm

Bob wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:30 pm Hi. :)

A common electrical fault is where the loom passes from the A pillar into the door, usualy the driver's side.

If you strip off some of the insulation often you can see breaks in the wires and/or insulation.

Easy enough to solder in a short extra piece, or new looms are available, but not cheap. :wink:

Good luck.
Thanks for your help Bob. Any idea which wire colour(s) to look for in 1999 2.5 Petrol Bongo.
Jon
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:58 pm

Can't remember, sorry.

But just look for signs of damage and join up the same colours where you find damage. 8)

Central locking often fails, too. :?
barney_the_bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by barney_the_bongo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:07 pm

Bob wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:58 pm Can't remember, sorry.

But just look for signs of damage and join up the same colours where you find damage. 8)

Central locking often fails, too. :?
Yes, I had problems with the central locking a while ago and found that it was a break in the yellow wire.
Thanks for your help :)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:03 pm

Once one wire has broken then the others will shortly follow, much better to cut out the section and replace all with new lengths, Karl Chadwick does a kit with every thing you need including crimp tool. See here http://bit.ly/2RFG7ik you may need to ask if the kit isn't shown as they are in high demand!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Tinks404
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Tinks404 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:39 pm

Just a quick question, how do you get to the wiring? My passenger window only goes down from the drivers door switch and the electric mirror on the passenger side doesn’t work so my husband wanted to have a look at what was going on but he doesn’t know how to get to the wires. Thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:06 pm

Sharp Stanley knife or similar then gently cut the outer insulation away.

Careful not to cut the inner bits, but once you have a start you can pull it away as you cut. :wink:

Welcome aboard. 8)
Tinks404
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Tinks404 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks, I was hoping there was a panel that would just pop off. I didn’t realise it would be so brutal. I only bought my bongo on Friday.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:38 pm

You can purchase a complete plugin loom from your local corner shop, check for vehicle date.

https://bongoland.co.uk/product/wiring-harness/
barney_the_bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by barney_the_bongo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:17 pm

barney_the_bongo wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:17 pm Hi,
I have a problem with the nearside electric window: It will go down but not up when using the switch in the passenger side door. It won't do anything with the switch in the driver's door. I've studied the wiring diagrams and read everything I can on the forum but can't work out what is going on. Any advice would be very welcome! :D
Hi
I have exactly the same problem with my nearside window. I've done everything I can to troubleshoot the issue (checked the wiring looms in the driver and passenger door, checked the switches, checked the motor and mechanism...)
How did you resolve your problem?
Cheers
Jon
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:52 am

When you say you have checked the looms and the switches was this with a meter? The wires in the loom break within the insulation quite often due to work hardening so a visual inspection doesn't always show any problems.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
barney_the_bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by barney_the_bongo » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:55 pm

I must admit that I only vsually checked the wires. Just got a multimeter a couple of days ago and so far properly checked the switches and the orange wire which I thought would be the problem looking at the wiring diagrams (these were ok). I guess it will come down to striping insulation off all the wires one by one to test :/
Thanks.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:00 pm

Sometimes by manipulating the wires you can feel the ones with a broken core and the insulation may crack at the break. :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”