Coolant leak right side (from front)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Coolant leak right side (from front)

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:22 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:03 pm This is why I have the threshold so low. I think the fiddly nature of the low coolant alarm
(drilling holes in expansion tank) puts some including myself off a bit.

I cannot quite get my head round why there is fluid in battery tray yet no where else
to be seen on the header tank itself/pipes to/from it. #-o Must have been a stray squirt from somewhere lower.
Sounds scary but is quite safe. Did mine 12yrs ago and its never leaked.

On the 3yr old rad issue, when mine was replaced the new one immediately had a leak between plastic top and metal matrix - as Geoff has flagged up) and was replaced under warranty. I wonder if the replacement parts are all they should be :-(
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:51 pm

Thanks for the further replies. Crikey, that did not last long Mike, 2 minutes.

Anyway I am in contact with mazdabongo.com who use /are affiliated with Dormans which is
close-ish. Allan's cannot do the job at the mo and as he knows we really are a long old schlep away.
I had partly taken a decision which is not easy to get it done somewhere more local, it saves some
money with transport as it is closer.

So sniff test agreed to rule out cracked head going ahead, I agreed to that. (I would be collapse
on the floor in a heap if it was [-o< , at 92C it just cannot be cracked, no other signs of any problems before I got
to the top of my road.)

So they are going to do some pre-existing planned jobs for us as well as trouble shoot the small leak/overheat.. new water pump, 8 hoses (from Fury club so I supply those) for the engine, supply and fit....cam belt, aux and air con belts, clean banjo filter and fuel filter. The rates seem fairly reasonable.

I have let them know it had a new head/rad and thermostat 3 year ago. And described symptoms.

Hopefully it is not one of the metal pipes ! ( I have one rear heater pipe (1 of them) which I will throw into the van on the off chance, I am not anticipating that but ?? In case) But you can never know so I am planning to get the vehicle to them for Monday and there may be a bit of a wait before they get going on it.

Fingers crossed and I won't have to pay much more than I was going to in October.

Rather stressful.

PS As I just remembered.. I have also asked if they have ever bypassed the rear heater pipes as that might make
the system more robust overall and rule them out of any leaks in the future. Not sure how easy that is
or how many people have it done. We never use the rear heater and anything in the name of making the
cooling system more reliable.
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:12 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:51 pm PS As I just remembered.. I have also asked if they have ever bypassed the rear heater pipes as that might make
the system more robust overall and rule them out of any leaks in the future. Not sure how easy that is
or how many people have it done. We never use the rear heater and anything in the name of making the
cooling system more reliable.
It’s real easy. Buy parts from forum shop (2 rubber stops official Mazda part), drain coolant remove hoses from under passenger seat to rear heater via metal sections. Refill and bleed. My Bongo seemed happier after taking the rear heater out of its loop.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:41 am

Yes spotted the blanking kit thanks cwilliams.

My waking fear this morning... can a sniff and pressure test actually cause more damage than there is ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4FoUc6fRNs

Given in my presence the vehicle was switched off at the alarm point of 92C which is within spec
it strongly suggests that heat would not have cracked the head. (as 92C is within Bongo diesel engine spec)

But as there is some kind of fault/leak etc. should a sniff and pressure test be done
before the engine has a chance to hit temperatures that could now damage the head.
(I can only imagine that a sniff test and pressure test must be done whilst carefully
monitoring the engine temperature ?)

The next question that springs to mind is does a sniff/pressure test require the thermostat to open?
Cause if so by that time surely they risk more damage than there already is.

My concern is that these diagnostics can cause even more damage.

So worried.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:04 am

I am not a mechanic but given the top hose was hot
and the bottom cold. (not even warm)

Would not the very first thing to do be to put a new thermostat in and see
if the one in there has stuck closed. Thus not letting the coolant circulate when it hits
standard termostat opening thresold temp ?
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:15 pm

MazdaBongo appear to know their stuff and alleviated my fears somewhat about the diagnostics. But if it is the head again then we shall be forced to make some very hard and serious decisions about ownership.

Until I hear back on the diagnostics we have a very anxious wait. Fingers crossed, that is about the best we can do.
Axander
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Axander » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:40 am

Я решил проблему с охлаждение так.Проблема решена полностью. Загрузить фото не получается. https://www.drive2.ru/l/521539872691847291/ Все мои изменения можно посмотреть. https://www.drive2.ru/r/mazda/bongo_fri ... 5/logbook/
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:25 am

Спасибо Аксандеру за техническую схему, всего наилучшего (translated online !, Thanks for the technical drawings, all the best)

Vehicle due to go into garage tomorrow, might be a while before we get news.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:41 pm

Pressure test reveals rad fault/crack in plastic bottom. Next sniff test, but they need (as suspected) to get temps up so rad and big pipes need changing. So authorised a replacement with original Mazda rad + original thermostat + all rubber pipes + 2 large bore pipes. Not cheap but also the stress of Bongo going wrong is not nice, so whilst the cooling system is taken down built back with good parts.

I was told that aftermarket rads are fine, I respect that advice but my current experience suggests otherwise 3 years is hardly reaking of quality to me. I do accept it could just be bad luck. As the heat issue seemed to be caught early they are not expecting a problem with the sniff test but still not out of the woods quite yet.

I think unless your Bongo has had a complete cooling system overhall you can pretty much expect them to go wrong, so start saving for that day, it might be next week or 18 months but do try and be prepared, lucky I have been at least in part saving for this anyway, was going to sort the pipes in October - but tbh we would not have replaced the rad so.. maybe in a twist of fate get the whole lot done now. Not sure if our experiences with the cooling system are typical or just rather unlucky.

Of course I am feeling a bit disillusioned about it but what to do eh ? You either fix and put up or scrap em. I can only hope this time round with a complete overhall we get 5 years peace out of it. I still weigh in mind against the cost of a new car which would not be as enjoyable at all (not even close) and with a cheap second had car you can have just as much hassle.

So not great, but hoping for no further bad news.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:01 pm

Fingers crossed for you bb123 - I've been through similar moments with mine but 13 years later we're still together for all the reasons you mention. ;-)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks Mike. I spotted we had our cambelt kit done 3 years ago and the fule filter is not very old so we are no where near close to service interval for that so that saving will go towards the 2 large bore metal pipes that make sense to replace, they sound like a ticking time bomb to me.

They are suggesting not capping off the long pipes to the rear heater matrix. Why ? I am not entirely sure, and mentioned it would only cut out 1 rubber hose. (I thought it would have cut the heating matrix itself and some of the long metal pipes but I may be wrong.) It feels logical to me to remove as much unnecessary risk as is possible, but not being an expert as such have to also go with what is being suggested. Any view on that by the knowledgeable is welcome.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:22 am

BongoBongo123 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:23 pm Thanks Mike. I spotted we had our cambelt kit done 3 years ago and the fule filter is not very old so we are no where near close to service interval for that so that saving will go towards the 2 large bore metal pipes that make sense to replace, they sound like a ticking time bomb to me.

They are suggesting not capping off the long pipes to the rear heater matrix. Why ? I am not entirely sure, and mentioned it would only cut out 1 rubber hose. (I thought it would have cut the heating matrix itself and some of the long metal pipes but I may be wrong.) It feels logical to me to remove as much unnecessary risk as is possible, but not being an expert as such have to also go with what is being suggested. Any view on that by the knowledgeable is welcome.
Who is suggesting that? If they're Bongo experts then maybe they're right but it is worth putting your good points to them. Also, does taking the rear heater circuit out make bleeding the system any easier?
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:41 am

I will ask, they seem like good chaps who have dealt with worried Bongo owners.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:49 pm

Do reconsider fitting a low coolant alarm, now well over 15,000 sold world wide and never a problem with tank drilling.....these alarms do work.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:22 pm

I may do once I have..

A) Had it confirmed that the new head of only 3 years age is not destroyed again.
B) Once I have covered costs for this repair (over and above what I had saved).

TBH I don't even like to touch the expansion tank cap, the cooling systems (if mainly the original parts) on these things
are beyond a joke after 20 years. I love the vehicle but am deeply suspicious of the cooling system.

In this case I am fairly sure the low coolant alarm would not have warned me of anything
that the temperature alarm did not, last journeys all fine sitting in the 80's temp wise.
Head should not be toast at 92C but I need to know for sure. I was lucky I was parking.

I think if this head is a gonner the Bongo days are over, we all have a limit.

Return to “Techie Stuff”