Diesel fuel leak near pump

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Diesel fuel leak near pump

Post by root-n-5th » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:51 pm

Hello all,

I realise this has been covered before many times, but MOT is drawing near and there is diesel leak somewhere near the pump. I did replace the banjo filter last year and it seems to have happened since then so could it be somewhere other than the pump?

Might I have dislodged something on the pump or do some screws or bolts need tightening?

Thanks,
Sam
root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Re: Diesel fuel leak near pump

Post by root-n-5th » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:06 am

Thanks.

Funny thing is I was testing it last night and I couldn't see a leak. I could swear I could last year, but I can still smell diesel. Could that just be from a previous leak? I've sprayed a load of degreaser onto the oily bits in an attempt to clear it.

It is very tight down there, especially with the cupboards blocking the chair going back the whole way, and I have quite big hands.

Maybe I'll just send it for MOT and see what they say.

Thanks for your help,
Sam
root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Post by root-n-5th » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:26 am

Hello all,

Van got through its MOT without a single mention of a fuel leak. I've checked again and can't find any evidence of diesel leaking anywhere in the engine, but I can definitely smell raw diesel from it. Where could fit be coming from? bit of a mystery and a bit annoying as whenever I park up I can smell diesel, and it's not the most pleasant smell.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:36 pm

root-n-5th wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:26 am Hello all,

Van got through its MOT without a single mention of a fuel leak. I've checked again and can't find any evidence of diesel leaking anywhere in the engine, but I can definitely smell raw diesel from it. Where could fit be coming from? bit of a mystery and a bit annoying as whenever I park up I can smell diesel, and it's not the most pleasant smell.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
I fitted a scavenger fan over-ride switch to turn it on when stationary as that was when smell was a problem. And in time I got the pump seals changed. Also worth checking engine cover latches are holding covers tight closed (you can bend the curved wire in them a little if they're not).
root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Post by root-n-5th » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks for the info. Is the scavenger fan that big fan you can see when looking into the engine from the passenger side? Any idea how I can fit an override switch? There is a mystery button on the dashboard that I have no idea what it does so maybe that is it. Is it a noisy fan?

Thanks!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:20 pm

root-n-5th wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:45 pm Thanks for the info. Is the scavenger fan that big fan you can see when looking into the engine from the passenger side? Any idea how I can fit an override switch? There is a mystery button on the dashboard that I have no idea what it does so maybe that is it. Is it a noisy fan?

Thanks!
Yes that sounds like it. This old thread discusses how to fit an over-ride switch.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71662

Return to “Techie Stuff”