Fitting a wireless reversing camera - advice please :)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Joe_anne123
Bongolier

Fitting a wireless reversing camera - advice please :)

Post by Joe_anne123 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:44 pm

Hi,

I have just bought a Boscam K1 wireless reversing camera as now that my new rock and roll bed has been fitted, the view out the back window is more restricted.

In theory, the camera just needs to be connected to the wiring to one of the reversing lights to get it's power supply. Can anyone advise on where best to access these wires and where best to mount the camera? I've tried searching for posts on the forum but they all appear to be written in a technical language I don't quite understand! I've got a 2000 V6 high top, if that makes any difference. Thanks in anticipation for any help :D
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Fitting a wireless reversing camera - advice please :)

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:30 am

Best place to access the reversing light wiring is the offside rear cluster. Mounting cameras I always choose high up looking down so that you get a "plan" view which is much easier to interpret, if you mount low around the number plate area then you have a problem identifying distance to object!
See here for various views of mine over time http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/cameras/index.php
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:02 pm

To remove the rear light cluster, remove the two screws then push the cluster out sideways, if you don’t do this there is a fair chance of damage.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Joe_anne123
Bongolier

Post by Joe_anne123 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Thank you both for the advice. I will take a look at the rear cluster and positioning of the camera over the weekend - hopefully the weather will dry up a bit! :D
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:53 pm

I went for a low mounted rear camera, I just couldn't get the angle I wanted from up high and the bikes obscured it when they were on.

The lower position have a much better solution. I mounted just above the number plate which also gives it a bit of weather protection as it is under the trim.

I asked it down whilst keeping it as high as possible so that it works as a rear dash cam as well, recording the rear whilst driving and switches to show rear only when reversing. I can see the bumper and have no problem with depth perception from there.

I would suggest trying both positions and seeing which works best for you.

I am tempted at some point to add another camera and write it up to switch between the cameras so that I can have one camera pointing straight back for the dash cam. Then another pointing down more to be the reversing camera. However to be honest the compromise between isn't bad so I will probably leave it as is.

Return to “Techie Stuff”