Fuse 1

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Briango
Apprentice Bongonaut

Fuse 1

Post by Briango » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:00 pm

My battery has had a 'parasitic leak' & have traced it to fuse number 1(named ROOM on my fusebox, 2002 2L petrol) which I believe is the driver cabin.
What equipment does this fuse serve?
jimmo62
Bongolier

Re: Fuse 1

Post by jimmo62 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:12 pm

jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:13 pm

Also note that the "dark current" in the service manual is 20mA for the Diesel version so if it's around that there may not be a problem.
Briango
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Briango » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:44 am

Thank you for the quick reply & the information.
My fuse box is not the same as the X03 layout so shall have a ratch & see if I can locate a part number.
The fuse concerned is 15amp. It blew the 20mA fuse in my multimeter so I assumed that was it, probably a classic mistake as I didn't check the others, too much to do! Interesting about the 'dark current' perhaps it is the same on the petrol?
Initially I thought it was the immobiliser, which was fitted last year & has been presenting a few minor problems so shall persevere & spend a bit more time on it. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Pault
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Pault » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:51 pm

Did you get to the bottom of this issue? I've got the exact same thing with my van.

The fuse powers the stereo and interior lights, which I'd switched to the leisure battery. I just removed the new fuse it while it was parked to stop the drain until I could investigate further. Next time I started the van the engine warning light came on (although it drove fine?). The code for that from the OBD said low engine voltage. I put the fuse back in and the warning light goes away.

Looking behind the fuse box it's a blue and red wire which disappears off into a wiring loom but I can't tell any more than that.

Any suggestions on what this might be? I want the stereo and lights to be powered off the leisure battery but this is draining it constantly. Oddly the original fuse location (fuse 1) is permanently live. I would have thought whatever this is it should be linked to the ignition?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:11 pm

FIRST DON'T USE FUSE NUMBERS - they have changed numbers over the years - describe the position Row and position from Left/Right!
The Top Row Right is the Ancillaries fuse (Blue 15 Amp) powering the sockets and power for the radio etc.
The Top row Left is the unswitched supply and usually the one that has a parasitic load causing problems, often Radio backup supplies where the backup supply draws way more than is correct! Android units a serious cause of this, but also some radios have the two power connections reversed so the main power is drawn from the backup pin and the ancillary supply is connected to the backup!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Pault
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Pault » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:27 pm

The one I'm referring to is top left.

Any suggestions on what could be connected to that which is responsible for the engine warning light coming on when it's disconnected?
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:17 pm

To prevent any problems albeit on my leisure battery as the main battery has always been fine, I fitted one of those screw type quick release battery isolators, has been great too.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:09 pm

Yes the Top Left is unswitched power which backs-up the ECU and Radio settings, disconnect that and the ECU reports a failure of backup! Once it has been switched on/off/on again it will be happy whilst it rebuilds the engine info on the next run.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Pault
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Pault » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:47 am

Ah ok, that makes sense then. Thanks

I suspect the stereo is the cause of my battery drain so I'll disconnect that and see what difference it makes.
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:02 pm

g8dhe wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:09 pm Yes the Top Left is unswitched power which backs-up the ECU and Radio settings, disconnect that and the ECU reports a failure of backup! Once it has been switched on/off/on again it will be happy whilst it rebuilds the engine info on the next run.
My van keeps blowing this 10a fuse, which had been bypassed to the leisure battery with a swap loom kit. Blew that fuse and blows a fuse if I disconnect the swap loom and use the original location.

Any ideas where to start?
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 am

Pault wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:47 am Ah ok, that makes sense then. Thanks

I suspect the stereo is the cause of my battery drain so I'll disconnect that and see what difference it makes.
My stereo was wired into the Leisure Battery circuit and it causes drain especially so it seems when CDs are left in it even when unit is switched 'off'.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:47 am

Alkers wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:02 pm
g8dhe wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:09 pm Yes the Top Left is unswitched power which backs-up the ECU and Radio settings, disconnect that and the ECU reports a failure of backup! Once it has been switched on/off/on again it will be happy whilst it rebuilds the engine info on the next run.
My van keeps blowing this 10a fuse, which had been bypassed to the leisure battery with a swap loom kit. Blew that fuse and blows a fuse if I disconnect the swap loom and use the original location.

Any ideas where to start?
Ended up being a nick in one of the wires in the driver door loom, must have been making intermittent contact with the chassis and blowing the fuse as it would work sometimes. All good now.
malaka
Junior Bongonaut

Post by malaka » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:40 pm

I have a red wire going into the slot and no fuse in the slot , what has been done I have no radio or courtesy lights and am unable to reprogram my remote locking key fob and have an amber engine check light
ps the fuse days room on it
2.0 petrol 2003
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:52 pm

You have a swap loom fitted, the red wire extends the circuit side out to "new" fuse box which is connected to the Leisure battery, the fuse is moved to the new holder. There can be up to 4 circuits moved across normally top left and top right, then if you have blinds then two more on the righthand side.
If its not working then most likely is that the LB is flat....
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”