Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

DanBongo
Junior Bongonaut

V6 Head Gasket

Post by DanBongo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:01 am

Hi All,

I can't seem to find an exact situation to mine,

I have a 1999 V6 81000 on the clock.

Had a service 3 months back with no advisories for any rust or corrosion to any of the hoses/pipes etc all oil levels checked and everything was ok.

Trip 6 weeks ago covering a maximum of 1000 miles, got home and the next day I fired her up and noticed a oil burning smell, had a look and yes a leak but nothing on the drive or on the tray. Booked her in for a check over, garage have said she is seeping from the head gasket? Which could possibly mean blown/cracked cylinder heads..?

This was a massive surprise considering I have not notched any lack of performance, coolant level is the same as it was 3 months back and I have a low coolant alarm and a dual temp sensory attached to both cylinder heads under the rocker cover bolts, this temp has never gone past 96 and this was driving up and down hill of the isle of wight when its was 28 degrees. Coolant is nice and red so I'm not thinking any exhaust gases and no yellow sludge down the dipstick.

Took her out again this morning and again the temp never went above 81 degrees with all the blowers up full blowing out really hot, just a smell of burning oil, checked at fluid and cherry red no smell from there.

Im thinking a potential head gasket replacement? to stop the oil seeping through? Garage did say it's just 1 small line of oil seepage. Could it be left alone as long as I keep an eye on the oil level?

Have read its very rare for v6 cylinder heads to crack? and don't seem to have any symptoms I have read on here? Anything im missing or anyone has advice for tests I can do, always try myself before getting mechanics involved.

Really appreciate any help on this one as I a tab apprehensive about driving her but again don't want to miss out on the summer!

Thanks,

Dan
Dan,
99 V6!
rita
Supreme Being

Re: V6 Head Gasket

Post by rita » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:17 pm

You need another opinion,it sounds very much like the rocker gasket not the head gasket .

Did the garage/mechanic actually tell you that the cylinder head was cracked or blown ?.
DanBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by DanBongo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:02 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the reply,

The mechanic said its possible the cylinder head is cracked due to the oil seepage through the gasket..? "It would need to be sent for a pressure test to be sure.

I have asked for a compression test on all 6 cylinders and the sniff test to be carried out? If this comes back normal I cant understand why it would be anything more than a faulty gasket?

I will be taking it to another garage on Monday for another opinion and to generally pick their brains on this to.

Cheers,

Dan
Dan,
99 V6!
ade33
Bongolier

Post by ade33 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:46 am

Our V6 ‘burnt a little oil’ according to the previous owner.

The trip home was 350 miles, after which it smelt increasingly of burning oil. We, two recovery drivers and a Bongo-friendly garage struggled to find the source, until we changed garages and they diagnosed a leaking crank seal. Oil was tracking aft along the bottom of the engine and dribbling off onto the transverse exhaust pipe that joins the headers.

You’re local to us, so I’d recommend Harris Motors in Woodingdean if you need a second opinion. They’ve always looked after us well.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:59 am

Great info, well done. =D>

If you're going in that deep it will be worth getting the cam belt, water pump, and associated bits done all together. :wink:
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:32 pm

DanBongo wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:02 pm Hello,

Thank you for the reply,

The mechanic said its possible the cylinder head is cracked due to the oil seepage through the gasket..? "It would need to be sent for a pressure test to be sure.

I have asked for a compression test on all 6 cylinders and the sniff test to be carried out? If this comes back normal I cant understand why it would be anything more than a faulty gasket?

I will be taking it to another garage on Monday for another opinion and to generally pick their brains on this to.

Cheers,

Dan
Ten gallon hat comes to mind. :lol:
DanBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by DanBongo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks for all the replies!!

I will be taking the van to Harris motors tomorrow for a good chat! And hopefully a look at the van!

Garage says they had previously worked on a number of bongos..... :cry:

Will update when I have more.
Dan,
99 V6!

Return to “Techie Stuff”