Power Steering Fluid

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

WebWiz
Bongonaut

Power Steering Fluid

Post by WebWiz » Fri May 31, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi Guys,

I have found a small leak by the steering rack which I will fix soon but for today I need to top it up.

Can someone please tell me if there is any special fluid or will any red steering fluid work as the stuff in there is red?

Thanks
Doone
Supreme Being

Re: Power Steering Fluid

Post by Doone » Fri May 31, 2019 10:28 pm

Dexron 111 (3) ATF/Power steering fluid is commonly used. If it's leaking you could add some 'stop leak' for power steering as this sometimes helps to stop some leaks, as seals age.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:25 pm

If it's leaking at the rack, it's probably the steering pinion oil seal. Quite easy to replace. Have a search on the how-to's.
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:56 pm

Yup. Pinion seems to be where it's coming from. Seal ordered from Mike G. Hopefully won't be too bad to fit.
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:54 pm

I quite enjoyed doing mine (but then I'm sad). You'll need circlip pliers for this. The rest are general tools. Note you need to be extra careful if you have airbag model,

I think there is a guide on here somewhere. Doh, here it is #-o :

https://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum ... al#p409274

Here is one of the previous threads with Mike about sourcing the seal.

viewtopic.php?t=70510
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:43 pm

Gripped wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:54 pm I quite enjoyed doing mine (but then I'm sad). You'll need circlip pliers for this. The rest are general tools. Note you need to be extra careful if you have airbag model,

I think there is a guide on here somewhere. Doh, here it is #-o :

https://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum ... al#p409274

Here is one of the previous threads with Mike about sourcing the seal.

viewtopic.php?t=70510
Hello all
Thanks to the treads mentioned here I've completed this project today on my own bus , all from the top and it took about one and a half hours ,getting the cir clip off took a bit of time but I got there , proper pliers a must !
To get the seal out I did as advised and drilled into the seal but instead of driving in a wood screw and pulling it out with a vice grip I drilled into the seal and used a right angled mini pick to to pull it out using a vice grip , push it in and turned it through 90
Degrees and it grips the seal from underneath .
Anyway I hope this helps somebody .
Any update on the availability of the single seal , I used one from the full seal kit , a bit of a waste really !
Brian
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:54 am

Mike still has some left. Just not advertised them for a while. His email is in his profile. Username is mikexgough
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:48 pm

Hi all,

I noticed my power steering fluid was a tad low so I went it to the motorfactors today to get some fluid and this is what I was given.

I can't make head nor tail out of what's on the bottle, he looked up my reg and van type and it appears to be Automatic transmission fluid. I googled it a bit and yes the Auto box in the bongo takes the same stuff as the power steering (2.5TD 4WD 98)

I just wanted to confirm I've been sold the right stuff before putting it in there :lol:

https://flic.kr/p/2m6SJQQ

https://flic.kr/p/2m6NU8s
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:02 pm

Should be fine. I see on the label it's compatible with dextron III which is what Bongos use. They are backward compatible
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:20 pm

Ah perfect,
I could see Dexron III buried in the info but I didn't really understand any of it #-o

Thanks WebWiz
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:29 pm

You may want to have a look/feel around the pipes and steering rack to see if you have a leak anywhere. The top seal on my rack went a while ago and left a visible trail of fluid around the rack, boots, intercooler etc. I had to top up every couple of weeks. Hopefully yours is a tiny leak and nothing to worry about

Return to “Techie Stuff”