V6 Rocker Cover Gasket Leak onto HT Leads

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

waverider1
Junior Bongonaut

V6 Rocker Cover Gasket Leak onto HT Leads

Post by waverider1 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:31 am

Hi, Just after some advice...

Our 2002 V6 Bongo rocker cover weeps a little oil, we discovered a little oil dripping down onto a couple of the HT leads but we’d thought we’d try and sort it out. Firstly, does anybody out there have a service manual for the Petrol V6 2.5L J5 Bongo (2002) and know what the torque setting for the nuts on the rocker cover gasket are supposed to be - so we can see if they need to be nipped up first before trying to replace the rocker cover gasket?

What do people recommend?
Cheers.
ognob
Bongonaut

Re: V6 Rocker Cover Gasket Leak onto HT Leads

Post by ognob » Sat May 25, 2019 2:05 pm

Personally if it’s only a small weep I’d leave it alone and monitor it :)
waverider1
Junior Bongonaut

Post by waverider1 » Sat May 25, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi thanks, will do, bongo has recently started to missfire slightly so thought that may be the cause - we've replaced new spark plugs and checked the rest of the HT leads for any damage but they seem OK visually...?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat May 25, 2019 2:44 pm

If oil has got into the lead check the actual plug connectors carbon in the oil can gather under the rubber sealing cap and cause problems, otherwise go back up to the distributor and rotor arm, just had mine replaced following a misfiring and and an erratic idle problem. If you are getting a lot of misfiring bear in mind that the unburnt fuel is passing into the Cat in the exhaust were it will burn out the Cat if you you run it for any time, mine was damaged on a journey of about 300 miles back from Dartmouth to Sussex.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”