Upgrading the coolant and AC fans

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Merlot man
Bongolier

Upgrading the coolant and AC fans

Post by Merlot man » Tue May 21, 2019 7:37 am

Hello all
I'm considering upgrading the coolant and AC fans in the front of the bus , my thoughts are that they are 25 years old so have plenty of work done , also , fan technology must have improved in the last 25/30 years .
My question is are there better , more powerful more efficient ie higher CFM , out there that will fit into the same spaces in the cowling .
The bus does not over heat but we bring it climbing to France every year , fully loaded up , so every little will help :)
The bus is a 95 TD 4 wd
Thanks in advance ,I really appreciate it
Brian
ognob
Bongonaut

Re: Upgrading the coolant and AC fans

Post by ognob » Tue May 21, 2019 10:16 am

I guess you could try and find a bigger fan in terms of rpm than the factory one

If I was looking to spend money in that area I’d probably see if there was a bigger radiator that could be fitted
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue May 21, 2019 12:43 pm

Mine certainly runs cooler since I fitted an oil cooler for the auto box fluid. :wink:
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 pm

ognob wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:16 am I guess you could try and find a bigger fan in terms of rpm than the factory one

If I was looking to spend money in that area I’d probably see if there was a bigger radiator that could be fitted
thanks for the reply
to be honest the rad is no more than a couple of years old and to be fair the bus doesn't overheat but I see before on long climbs in high heat fully loaded up the temp gauge , the hydn callow one , shows over a 100 c which I'm not happy about . :shock:
Thanks
Brian
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Thu May 23, 2019 12:43 pm

Ive fitted a manual switch to the engine scavenger fan for those times when it starts to get a little bit higher than id like it to be. The engine temp starts to drop on the hayden alarm within about 10 seconds of switching it on.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri May 24, 2019 9:11 am

Merlot man wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 pm
ognob wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:16 am I guess you could try and find a bigger fan in terms of rpm than the factory one

thanks for the reply
to be honest the rad is no more than a couple of years old and to be fair the bus doesn't overheat but I see before on long climbs in high heat fully loaded up the temp gauge , the hydn callow one , shows over a 100 c which I'm not happy about . :shock:
Thanks
Brian
100 C is absolutely fine under extreme conditions, up to 110 is not a problem.. sounds as though your system is good.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 am

Thanks for the replies gents .
That temp range is very helpful and reassuring hayden so thanks for that .
I did think about switching the savanger fan NTH but thought that it might cool down the sensor and not the coolant ?
To be honest the system seems to run very well . I had it fully replaced after getting the bus .
The main thing was that these fans are now 25 years old so the probably don't run as well as they used to and there must be similar sized fans available now that move more air through the rads .
This could be a worthwhile upgrade ?
Brian
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon May 27, 2019 3:13 pm

You could use Waterless Coolant.

Return to “Techie Stuff”