body work

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Andy abroad
Apprentice Bongonaut

body work

Post by Andy abroad » Mon May 20, 2019 10:07 pm

In February my Bongo passed its MOT with a note - 'bad corrosion on panels behind sills but not structural'. This week a different garage fitted a new starter motor and said they would have failed the MOT because those panels are load bearing - i.e. seats anchor points are close to them. The first garage has always said that the Bongo has a chassis which means the safety of the car is not dependent on the body work, the second garage says it hasn't a chassis! Can somebody tell me who is right!?
Andy abroad.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: body work

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Andy abroad wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:07 pm In February my Bongo passed its MOT with a note - 'bad corrosion on panels behind sills but not structural'. This week a different garage fitted a new starter motor and said they would have failed the MOT because those panels are load bearing - i.e. seats anchor points are close to them. The first garage has always said that the Bongo has a chassis which means the safety of the car is not dependent on the body work, the second garage says it hasn't a chassis! Can somebody tell me who is right!?
Andy abroad.
I'd get welding repair done asap as it'll need doing soon anyway and whilst corroded they could be letting in water etc and accelerating the problem.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 21, 2019 3:53 pm

There is a fully supported floor pan with 5 cross members (front and rear ones tend to corrode) see the diagrams here;
http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html
Not totally sure how the suspensions front and rear connect to the chassis however.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Andy abroad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Andy abroad » Wed May 22, 2019 10:33 am

Thanks for sending the link to the diagram. I think the part effected is labeled 'step/side' and probably the MT tester was right to say that it isn't structural - would that be a fair conclusion?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu May 23, 2019 11:57 am

Andy abroad wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:33 am Thanks for sending the link to the diagram. I think the part effected is labeled 'step/side' and probably the MT tester was right to say that it isn't structural - would that be a fair conclusion?

It is the responsability of that particular tester to pass or fail a vehicle,but you need to remember that they are not structural experts and might not even be Motor Engineers/Mechanics.

Take Care.

Return to “Techie Stuff”