AFT roof struggling

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cobbdu1
Bongonaut

AFT roof struggling

Post by cobbdu1 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:08 am

I've only had a Bongo for a few months and the roof has got progressively worse at rising, particularly towards the end of the rise. I assume this is quite common, so what should I do first in order to fix this please?
AndyS95
Bongonaut

Re: AFT roof struggling

Post by AndyS95 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:44 pm

Non mechanical stuff you can do to help is make sure you have the tent zips undone, also when it gets near the top you can have someone gently give it a push to help get into the fully up position where it stops beeping.

You can also lubricate the struts - not with WD40 though (can't remember why not...)
cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Post by cobbdu1 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:16 pm

Thank you. What are the ‘struts’ please?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon May 20, 2019 3:55 pm

There are two gas struts on the outside, these contain compressed Nitrogen gas and act as springs to assist lifting the roof, there are also two to help lift the inner roof and two to help raise the tailgate!
The Gas struts just need the lower ram section cleaning with a clean dry cloth, don't use any lubricant as there is the appropriate lubricant in the upper cylinder section which keep the gas seals adequately lubricated and using other lubricants can cause external dust and dirt to penetrate the seals and also can damage the seals themselves - remember these are GAS TIGHT seals. Its also possible that the struts are also ageing and need replacing this company do all the types used on a Bongo http://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot ... azda/bongo
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cubnumb
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by cubnumb » Tue May 21, 2019 9:50 am

I have the same problem with my roof. Thank you for sharing this information. I love you guys.

Return to “Techie Stuff”