Really heavy "clunk"

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Really heavy "clunk"

Post by fatcatlawyer » Fri May 17, 2019 11:18 am

I have started to notice the above. If I put the bongo on full lock and then reverse the is a clunk. When put on full lock the other way and then in forward a much heavier clunk. Can any one give me an idea as to what could be the cause. I try not to put my bongo through it but getting it parked on my drive makes it a necessary. Also 'cos I have a cheap sat nav three point turns are needed from time to time.

Thanks if you can help.

Yours Ian G.
ognob
Bongonaut

Re: Really heavy "clunk"

Post by ognob » Fri May 17, 2019 2:38 pm

Probably a drop link / sway bar

Do you have a smart phone? Waze / google maps are really good
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri May 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Could be the UJs in the rear prop.
Dazwhite
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Dazwhite » Sat May 18, 2019 3:39 pm

I have the same CLUNK under the same conditions plus other symptoms. I suspected the front dif was getting noisy a couple of months ago so I changed the oil and that made a big difference to the noise during the cruise. I now have juddering between 50-70 mph when under load and a rumbling at low speed whilst turning. I’ve got new front droplinks and factory sized tyres. The front ones had to be changed recently due to really bad cupping caused by commercial rated tyres being run at low pressure. The garage has told me that the front dif is well on its way out and I reckon they are correct. I’ll re-post after the swap and let you know if it cures all the problems.
Dazwhite
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Dazwhite » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:49 pm

Just to update my front diff & knocking noises problems. I've had the front diff swapped with a secondhand unit and it's made a big difference to the general noise from the front end when cruising. I can now hear the radio!! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to let the garage have the vehicle long enough to investigate the clunking from the front end when on full lock and first moving forwards or backwards. I'm thinking it's likely to be a CV joint but they've always 'tinkled' when on full lock when I've had them go on other vehicles so I'm wondering if this diagnosis is correct. Does anyone else have any other ideas please? I'm a newbie Bongo owner (4WD diesel) so any advice if this is a common symptom would really be appreciated.

Return to “Techie Stuff”