TPS error 12, replace or adjust?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Chief Brody
Bongonaut

Re: TPS error 12, replace or adjust?

Post by Chief Brody » Wed May 01, 2019 11:45 am

Thanks Geoff. I thought I had to push the connector back into place before measuring?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed May 01, 2019 11:57 am

Chief Brody wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:12 am Thanks Teenmal. As far as I was aware, after reading threads here, the only way to measure the voltage of the TPS was to do it at the ECU.

Have Look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIB3H-HqhkE
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 01, 2019 2:04 pm

Leave the connector on the ECU and just push a probe up the wire required onto the crimped on terminal pin inside the connector shell.
Not the same connector but similar;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Chief Brody
Bongonaut

Post by Chief Brody » Wed May 01, 2019 4:37 pm

Thanks Geoff. I'll try that but I think my probes are a bit too short and thick for that.
Chief Brody
Bongonaut

Post by Chief Brody » Thu May 02, 2019 9:07 am

Well I managed to get a brief reading from the TPS pin and it was 0.034V which is way under the idle measurement. The reading was very intermittent so who knows. I then went for a drive after adjusting the TPS slightly. I did around 10 miles with no real issues but I've had way more miles than that before the issues start. I just really need to rely on the Bongo a bit more. I'll be doing over 100 miles with it up to Aviemore soon enough. Tempted to fit a new TPS myself just so I know it's done but unsure of how easy it is. Anyone done this on a diesel?
Chief Brody
Bongonaut

Post by Chief Brody » Fri May 03, 2019 11:02 am

Managed to get hold of a new TPS but still not sure if my one is faulty. Found an auto electrician that says he will have a look but it's more expense that could perhaps be avoided. Thinking about just replacing it myself and assuming it is playing up. It looks easy enough other than one nut to undo further down. Not much room there to manoeuvre. I have quite thin hands and it's still a struggle but doable. Then there's the chance of dropping the nut when I finally get it off. Hmmm. I'll probably give it a go but will give the Bongo a decent 20 mile run and see how it's behaving. It's hard when I've never driven another Bongo before to know how much of the behaviour may be inherent with Bongos. I'll keep the thread updated.
Chief Brody
Bongonaut

Post by Chief Brody » Mon May 06, 2019 9:09 am

Well, no chance of getting that nut undone. I really don't know how anyone has managed to do this. Will have to have someone replace this for me but will be interested in how they manage to get this connection done. There is no room at all to manoeuvre. Will keep this thread updated.
Chief Brody
Bongonaut

Post by Chief Brody » Fri May 10, 2019 8:53 am

Another update. Couldn't manage to get one of the connections off the old TPS so had to give in and get an auto elec place to do it. They sorted it quick but did comment that the 'stop solenoid' was spinning in place so made things difficult. Anyway, they fitted new TPS and so far the error hasn't come back. Next stage is to purchase and fit a coolant alarm. Thanks for the help Geoff and Teenmal.

Return to “Techie Stuff”