Tailgate Central Locking

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tim Elmer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Tailgate Central Locking

Post by Tim Elmer » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:28 pm

Just thought I'd share my recent experience with you. The tailgate central locking stopped working, but when I put my hand on the tailgate and someone else operated the central locking, you could feel the "thunk" of the solenoid operating. The lock still locked and unlocked with the key. Anyway, I removed the rear panel, peeled back the moisture barrier to find that twenty plus years of locking and unlocking had vibrated both the retaining nuts off, allowing the solenoid to dangle within the rear tailgate. A quick bit of manoeuvring and two spare 10mm nuts from the toolbox and the job's a good 'un. Try as I might, I could not extract the lost nuts from the bottom of the tailgate, and each time I open it, they rattle to remind me...

Couple of photos to show the solenoid out of place and then back on before the nuts were applied

Tony x
Tribal Elder

Re: Tailgate Central Locking

Post by Tony x » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:24 pm

Handy info.
Have you tried one of those telescopic magnet things to get your nuts back?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:11 am

Nice one.

Thanks for posting. 8)
Tim Elmer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Tim Elmer » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:45 pm

Thanks both. Yes, I tried magnetic fishing as well as using a long handled ENT mirror (think dentists examination mirror with a longer handle) to look for it but the wee rattling tinker evades me. I'll put it down to "character"

Return to “Techie Stuff”