ABS / engine management blown fuse

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongojoe
Bongolier

ABS / engine management blown fuse

Post by bongojoe » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Hi folks, just back from the first trip of the year and had a weird fuse issue. As we were packing up to come home I started the van to lower the roof as I always do, and left it running whiled we packed up the rest of our stuff.

A couple of minutes later the engine suddenly cut out and wouldn’t start again. After a bit of swearing I discovered the ABS / engine management fuse had blown (15A fuse, leftmost on the middle row). I had a spare, replaced it and all was fine—drove the 300 miles home without incident.

Is there anything I should get checked out, or is this likely some freak incident I should just forget about?
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: ABS / engine management blown fuse

Post by g8dhe » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:13 pm

That fuse covers a raft of circuits, including reversing lights given that it hasn't blown again its difficult to suggest where to look, it could have been a faulty fuse or an intermittent short on a loom somewhere. No easy suggestions to be honest should it go again might be worth trying to recall just what happened before hand if your sat in the van at the time, but I know only to well that can be difficult given the surprise factor a sudden stopping of the engine!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
ognob
Bongonaut

Post by ognob » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:08 pm

Out of curiosity what made you check the fuse. I’d have assumed an engine fault
bongojoe
Bongolier

Post by bongojoe » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:44 am

g8dhe wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:13 pm That fuse covers a raft of circuits, including reversing lights given that it hasn't blown again its difficult to suggest where to look, it could have been a faulty fuse or an intermittent short on a loom somewhere.
Just before it blew we were attaching the bike rack to the tow bar and having a bit of trouble getting the electrics to connect properly. I think the hazard lights were on and my daughter was wiggling the connector around until they started flashing on the rack. This was before we started the engine but the reversing lights obviously connect to the bike rack and the connector is a bit dodgy, so perhaps that was the cause.
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT
bongojoe
Bongolier

Post by bongojoe » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:46 am

ognob wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:08 pm Out of curiosity what made you check the fuse. I’d have assumed an engine fault
Probably because I'm more electrically than mechanically minded and the fuses are an easy thing to check! Also noticed that the glow plug light wasn't coming on before starting the engine which seemed to suggest something electrical.
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT
ognob
Bongonaut

Post by ognob » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:59 am

bongojoe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:46 am
ognob wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:08 pm Out of curiosity what made you check the fuse. I’d have assumed an engine fault
Probably because I'm more electrically than mechanically minded and the fuses are an easy thing to check! Also noticed that the glow plug light wasn't coming on before starting the engine which seemed to suggest something electrical.
Cheers

Return to “Techie Stuff”