Rear lights not working

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

lesleychev
Apprentice Bongonaut

Rear lights not working

Post by lesleychev » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:34 pm

So I recently noticed that the backlight on my dashboard isn't working. After some research I then discovered my rear lights and aside lights aren't working either.

I have tried replacing the fuse but no change.

Does anyone have any ideas please but in layman's language as I'm not technical at all.

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Rear lights not working

Post by g8dhe » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:24 pm

The side light stalk switch causes a relay to operate which then powers all the lights around the van, internal illumination lights, side lights, tail lights and number plate light. The relay is located on the nearside front wheel arch under the bonnet there are a possible 4 relays, the two rear most relays are always fitted the second one from the rear is the TNS relay; see below E1-05;

If someone puts the hand on the relay whilst the switch is operated then you should be able to feel it click, if it doesn't then that would suggest the stalk switch or wiring to the relay is faulty. If it clicks but the lights don't come on then it could be the relay or wiring to the lights themselves.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
lesleychev
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Rear lights not working

Post by lesleychev » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:43 pm

g8dhe wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:24 pm The side light stalk switch causes a relay to operate which then powers all the lights around the van, internal illumination lights, side lights, tail lights and number plate light. The relay is located on the nearside front wheel arch under the bonnet there are a possible 4 relays, the two rear most relays are always fitted the second one from the rear is the TNS relay; see below E1-05;

If someone puts the hand on the relay whilst the switch is operated then you should be able to feel it click, if it doesn't then that would suggest the stalk switch or wiring to the relay is faulty. If it clicks but the lights don't come on then it could be the relay or wiring to the lights themselves.
Thanks will see if I can find a willing assistant tomorrow.

Return to “Techie Stuff”