Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tony x
Tribal Elder

Hold function on auto box not working

Post by Tony x » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi.
The Bongo is a Diesel, year 2000.
I noticed today that when pressing the hold knob on the auto gear lever the hold light does not come on and the hold function does not work.
Everything else is fine with the auto box changing when it should. I can live without the hold function but would sooner not.
The only other thing to mention is that we were at an incredibly dusty venue last week.
A forum search yielded a similar problem to mine but no solution.
Just looking for any tips before I get stuck in. Will try cleaning the electrical connection's unless anyone knows of a common issue which causes this problem. Cheers
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Hold function on auto box not working

Post by g8dhe » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:46 pm

I would start by checking the wire that runs up to the the switch on the gear selector, it can be accessed from the passenger side when you have removed the console;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:13 pm

Cheers Geoff.
Always helpful.
When I find the problem I'll post the answer
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:39 pm

Hold function is back.
It was the connections to the hold button itself that had come off.
The wire in Geoff's picture goes up to the hold button. You'll see in the picture it goes through a cable retainer which, in my case, wasn't doing its job.
In any case, you remove the centre console, the two screws holding the gear lever on and pull the lever off. The larger top button sprung out for me but will just pull out.
You'll see two black wires with a blue sheath next to the tube from which you pulled the gear lever. Touching these together briefly should light the hold function. If not the problem is elsewhere.
Next, prize the hold button out with a small screwdriver, solder some wires on and sheath. Put the hold button back in (it just pushes in) and connect your new wires to the old ones.
Some jiggling is needed to get the gear lever back in place and the top button just clips in. In the hole where this goes is a white plastic thing. The sloping side must face towards the opening of the hole.
Finally I put zip ties either side of the cable retainer to avoid any excessive tension on where the wire joins the switch.

If you do have this issue yourself it's possible it could manifest with the hold function coming on randomly should the wires to the switch short
Russell Jupp
Bongonaut

Post by Russell Jupp » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:23 pm

Tony x wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:39 pm Hold function is back.
It was the connections to the hold button itself that had come off.
The wire in Geoff's picture goes up to the hold button. You'll see in the picture it goes through a cable retainer which, in my case, wasn't doing its job.
In any case, you remove the centre console, the two screws holding the gear lever on and pull the lever off. The larger top button sprung out for me but will just pull out.
You'll see two black wires with a blue sheath next to the tube from which you pulled the gear lever. Touching these together briefly should light the hold function. If not the problem is elsewhere.
Next, prize the hold button out with a small screwdriver, solder some wires on and sheath. Put the hold button back in (it just pushes in) and connect your new wires to the old ones.
Some jiggling is needed to get the gear lever back in place and the top button just clips in. In the hole where this goes is a white plastic thing. The sloping side must face towards the opening of the hole.
Finally I put zip ties either side of the cable retainer to avoid any excessive tension on where the wire joins the switch.

If you do have this issue yourself it's possible it could manifest with the hold function coming on randomly should the wires to the switch short
Very handy info!!
Glad you sorted it.
The key to life: Fast bikes, fast cars, fast women. And a Bongo.

Return to “Techie Stuff”