Rear Fog wiring (again)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Gripped
Bongolier

Rear Fog wiring (again)

Post by Gripped » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:08 pm

So, there doesn't seem to be a definitive guide on this, so wondering what people advise?

Ours has front fogs, so I was thinking of using the Front switch as the switched live for the rear switch. I'll install an in-line 5 amp fuse in too.

I did notice that there is a spare block connector zip tied to the front fog switch wiring. Does anyone know what this is for? I assume it's for another optional accessory, was hoping I might be able to use this somehow, but probably not.

Anyway, I've got the flush fit Hella rear lamp installed in the bumper (looks smart), just need to wire it all up now. So appealing to Bongonaughts for assistance on the best wiring option.

Thanks !

:)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Rear Fog wiring (again)

Post by g8dhe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Well you presumably already have a wire going from dashboard to the rear used in the old rear fog lamp, so its just a case of connect that at the rear to the fog lamp, pickup an earth for the other side of the lamp and that will be the rear done.
Then you need to make up your mind which switched source on the dashboard to use and connect the original rear fog lamp wire to that switch.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:25 pm

Put a bulb between the spare block and earth, then try turning lights on/off to see when it's live. :wink:
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:17 pm

So

Here's the terminal block for the front fog, and the neighbouring one which is redundant, until now.

Tested with multi meter and there is power only when the headlamps/slide lights are turned on. So I'll use this block to connect to the new switch for the rear. I've run a live cable from the rear, and fixed an earth to the rear body. Hopefully it'll work when I connect everything up.

The original rear fog was a bodge job, so I'm sorting it out properly, hence needing to know the best way to wire it.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:20 pm

Sounds perfect. :)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:24 pm

Yes that's the block for the original loom to switch the front Fog Lamps on/off. It sounds like the front fogs have been fitted using an after-market kit rather than the parts of the loom already in place but unused.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:08 am

Yes that block in the foreground is the original fog block but is fitted to original fog lamps, so not aftermarket. The block behind is the "unused" one, so I wondered why Mazda had left a spare.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:48 am

Ah right, the white one in the background maybe the old connector for the Cold Start switch possibly ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”