Oil leak - passenger side front

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Oil leak - passenger side front

Post by jockodipunto » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:20 pm

Hello again,

I have been having a running battle with an oil leak. At first I suspected a fault oil filter which has since been changed and I also thought it might be a sump sealing problem but that has been dismissed as last resort after some useful advice on here.

Now I had thought I had cracked it but after a long journey I saw the leak again. Again it is on the passenger side and again it looked like sump, BUT I noticed a thin line of oil coming from somewhere near the front of the engine. I wiped the bead of oil clean only to see it start at the front of the engine, following the line odf the sump from front to back and then drip from the sump onto the under tray (pretty much directly below the oil filter).

Having looked close I could see oil dripping from two places near the front of the engine while under the van on the passenger side. The oil looked to be dripping off the bottom of the air con pump and also off the mounting pump where the aircon pump meets the engine. The problem I have got is I can't see what is above the aircon pump in order to track down where the actual oil is coming from as there is too much 'gubbins' in the way and nor can I see the front of the engine to see if the crank / cam seals are worn.

Does anyone have any pointers where this oil might be coming from? Is it possible there might be anything coming out of where the oil dipstick joins the engine....?

Yours (very) hopefully

Mark
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Re: Oil leak - passenger side front

Post by jockodipunto » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:26 pm

Okay, so I have just been out and whipped off the undertray and there is quite a substantial puddle of oil in the front section of the tray, pretty much underneath the engine pulleys and belts etc. so I am suspecting crank / cam seals that might need replacing. Has anyone else had this kind of work done on a 2.5 diesel and if so how much did it cost? I know the seals are only a few quid, but labour could be a bit scary????

Cheers

Mark
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:52 am

A few years ago I had this work done following an oil leak (I don't have a diesel now). The cam and crank seals were replaced, but while they were there they replaced the rocker gasket as well. Like you say, the replacement seals and gaskets don't cost a lot, it's the labour. Fortunately I had the work undertaken by someone who knows their way around a Bongo engine and in total it was 3 hours work and I paid, IIRC, about £200 plus VAT for everything.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:40 am

Ian wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:52 am A few years ago I had this work done following an oil leak (I don't have a diesel now). The cam and crank seals were replaced, but while they were there they replaced the rocker gasket as well. Like you say, the replacement seals and gaskets don't cost a lot, it's the labour. Fortunately I had the work undertaken by someone who knows their way around a Bongo engine and in total it was 3 hours work and I paid, IIRC, about £200 plus VAT for everything.

Did you fit a cambelt kit also.?
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:16 am

Thanks for the response - really appreciated.

I recently replaced the rocker cover gasket as my first attempt at DIY Bongo repairs - I believe (from what I can see) that there doesn't appear to be leaks coming from this area but I will most certainly check again. Is it okay to run the engine without the 'bridge' in place so I can see what is going on?

If I need the cam seals replacing I presume the rocker cover needs to come off again?

I will take another look at the engine when I get back home now that undertray is off and see if I can pinpoint where the leak is coming from - as I said earlier my challenge is really trying to see where the leak is coming from :)

Cheers again for responses.

Mark
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:04 pm

teenmal wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:40 am
Ian wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:52 am A few years ago I had this work done following an oil leak (I don't have a diesel now). The cam and crank seals were replaced, but while they were there they replaced the rocker gasket as well. Like you say, the replacement seals and gaskets don't cost a lot, it's the labour. Fortunately I had the work undertaken by someone who knows their way around a Bongo engine and in total it was 3 hours work and I paid, IIRC, about £200 plus VAT for everything.

Did you fit a cambelt kit also.?
The cam belt/spring/tensioner had been changed about 6 months previously so didn't need doing.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:35 pm

Okay - bit of an update on this. So, I had the van parked up and running for 20 or so minutes at temperature but absolutely NO sign of a leak. So I took it for a blat up and down the A46 and then had a look. Quite a 'good' leak from what looked to be the leading edge of the oil sump.

So while leaving the engine running and mopping up the oil, I think I have found where I believe the oil is leaking from and I think it is the front crank oil seal. I did think at first it might have been a leak in the joint between the sump and the engine but on closer inspection the oil was coming over the top of the lip above the sump and directly under the crank. No I am assuming it is the crank as everything else above that seemed to be dry and I couldn't see a damp source of the leak anywhere else.

So I am going to take a punt and get it booked in tomorrow (unless you more knowledgeable good folk have any other suggestions?). I don't think I will get the timing belt and tensioner etc changed as it was done last year with only 5k miles on it. I will save that for a rainy day.

Oh and by the way, is it safe enough to drive while the underguard is off for a few miles or so???

Cheers and thanks as always for the great advice.

Mark
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:30 pm

jockodipunto wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:35 pm Okay - bit of an update on this. So, I had the van parked up and running for 20 or so minutes at temperature but absolutely NO sign of a leak. So I took it for a blat up and down the A46 and then had a look. Quite a 'good' leak from what looked to be the leading edge of the oil sump.

So while leaving the engine running and mopping up the oil, I think I have found where I believe the oil is leaking from and I think it is the front crank oil seal. I did think at first it might have been a leak in the joint between the sump and the engine but on closer inspection the oil was coming over the top of the lip above the sump and directly under the crank. No I am assuming it is the crank as everything else above that seemed to be dry and I couldn't see a damp source of the leak anywhere else.

So I am going to take a punt and get it booked in tomorrow (unless you more knowledgeable good folk have any other suggestions?). I don't think I will get the timing belt and tensioner etc changed as it was done last year with only 5k miles on it. I will save that for a rainy day.

Oh and by the way, is it safe enough to drive while the underguard is off for a few miles or so???

Cheers and thanks as always for the great advice.

Mark

Personally for an extra £30/40 I would replace the cam belt, and it will be ok to run with the UT removed providing you don't encounter UFO on the road.
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:37 pm

Okay - will do.

Just out of interest I have been searching online for front crankshaft oil seal for the diesel engine but so far have drawn a blank. Forgive my noobness here but I assume the engine has one and that I am not searching for the correct part :)
Slightly embarassed but does anyone know where I can get one from??
Apologies all....
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:53 pm

Ahh - looks like I have found one.

I was using the wrong part description......
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:23 pm

Quick one guys - a bit worried about whether my mechanic can do this job or not as he thinks it to be quite major and from what I have read so far feedback wise, it doesn't seem to in depth.

Does anyone know of a mechanic anywhere near Warwick that knows their way around a Bongo?

Ta

Mark
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:35 pm

Chap called Simon, near Southam.

Mobile machanic and very well thought of.

I just need to scratch my head for proper contact details. :wink:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:40 pm

I am very surprised that your mechanic does not want to tackle this job ( after the cause has been found) these engines are very bog standard and bread and butter for a Mechanic.

I apologise if your Mechanic is not time served.

Take care
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:05 pm

Is it this guy would you say?

Simon
Contractmechanics
The Garage
Unit 9 Churchlands Farm Ind Est,
Bascote Road,
Harbury,
Warwickshire CV33 9PL

Cheers

Mark
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:13 pm

I didn't mean to cause any offence - my mechanic is very good and has serviced our family vehicles for years. Just worried over intricacies of Bongoneering….

Return to “Techie Stuff”