Inverter Placement

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Inverter Placement

Post by jockodipunto » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi all,

I have read a few posts about where best to locate a power inverter but I have a couple questions I couldn't quite find advice on.

As far as I understand, the inverter is connected directly to the leisure battery (I have a 110mAh batter and a 1000 watt inverter). The inverter has an on/off switch and a single 3 pin standard wall type 240v output socket. My main question really is how do I get the power feed from the inverter and out to the existing 240v power sockets in the back of the van? My existing sockets can only currently be used via an external hook up - which feeds into a standard consumer unit in the van.

Do I feed the inverter output into the existing consumer unit somehow - or just use the output plug directly from the inverter?

I am more than happy to trace automotive electrics but am not so confident with household type electrics so any advice would be great here.

Second question I have is that I have read a post which says it is possible to secure the inverter in the glove compartment and pass wires to the leisure battery through firewall grommet. Do you thing that there would be adequate ventilation locating the inverter in such a position?

Cheers

Mark
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Inverter Placement

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:47 pm

I've for 12 years had a 300w inverter secured to the metal crossbar hidden up behind the glovebox. The switch can be accessed by reaching up under the dash with the glovebox opened. Its a great place to put the inverter and it has plenty of space around it for its cooling fan air. However, i find i never use it, and it is an inefficient way to power things (plus start up surge currents from the capacitance of many devices tended to trip it out). What kind of things do you plan to use yours for?
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:11 pm

Well that is a very good questions. The wife mainly wants to use it to power a kettle if we are ever off the beaten track but apart from that not much really.

It might not be worth fitting one.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:07 pm

Leisure battery won't cut it I'm afraid :-( The capacity of the battery is way too small for powering heating devices that aren't designed to work from batteries, the assumption of mains powered heating devices is that infinite power is available. For water heating gas is the only real option available.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:02 am

jockodipunto wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:11 pm Well that is a very good questions. The wife mainly wants to use it to power a kettle if we are ever off the beaten track but apart from that not much really.

It might not be worth fitting one.
I end up thinking the only real use for mine is for such low lower devices as 240v chargers etc where there is no 12v charger available, and that i'll only use it when i'm on the move and the alternator is providing charge. But then that doesnt give a lot of charging time. The one thing it was useful for, years back, was so my son and his mates could use their 240v playstation and a tv screen whilst on the move. And they only did that on two trips :-(. Its cool to have an inverter just in case though, and with mine i just plugged in a short 4 x gang lead and fed the cable behind/under the dash and mounted it on the centre console by my left leg, and it looks neat there. I chose a gang lead with grey plastic and individual (illuminated i think) socket switches.
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:03 pm

Interesting thought on the PlayStation / TV - that would certainly help when we are remote.

You don't happen to have a pic on where you mounted the centre console at all do you ?

Cheers

Mark
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:33 pm

jockodipunto wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:03 pm Interesting thought on the PlayStation / TV - that would certainly help when we are remote.

You don't happen to have a pic on where you mounted the centre console at all do you ?

Cheers

Mark
I dont have a pic to hand but if you imagine where your left thigh rests when driving, its mounted there on the plastic face of my early model (1995) using two self tapping screws that the keyhole slots on the back of the 4 x gang lead hook on to. I didnt find this restricted my space there but would want to check and make your own decision. With my 300w inverter, it would usually trip out when the PS2 powerpack was plugged in (capacitance in the powerpack transformer momentarily pulling too much current i guess) but switching off inverter and switching it on again seemed to do the trick. But its still a power eating way of powering devices - better to have a 12v tv if poss etc.
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:29 pm

Brill.

Thanks again.

Return to “Techie Stuff”