Power Steering Leak

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Power Steering Leak

Post by jockodipunto » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:35 am

Hello all,

Now that I have sorted my cold start issues and oil leak from under the engine, I now need to move onto my next job which is resolving (and fixing) reason behind the power steering fluid being below the minimum mark on the power steering reservoir. Before I start this job I was hoping for any pointers on where to look and how to diagnose where the issue might lie.

It might just be as simple as fill up the reservoir, turn on the engine, move the steering and look for sprays etc.

I am hoping that being pre-warned might make the investigations a little easier (famous last words maybe? :) )

Cheers

Mark
Merlot man
Bongolier

Re: Power Steering Leak

Post by Merlot man » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:10 pm

Hello mark
I'd start by having a look at the steering rack as they seem to be a common problem on these .
On my own it's the pump I have the leak on ,I don't know if it's the full pump or simply a seal from the exit pipe , I must have a look when I get a chance but it's losing very little .
I did use a power steering stop leak and it did improve it but didn't cure the problem :twisted:
Other wise it's probably corroded / perished pipe work .
Beat of luck with it
Brian
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:48 pm

Thanks Brian,

I will start there and see where it takes me!

All the best

Mark
Russell Jupp
Bongonaut

Post by Russell Jupp » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:27 am

I've just sorted a major pas leak on my Freda. The seal where the steering column joins the rack. Upper pinion?
£15 oil seal, and a couple of hours to do.
But you will need a pit or a ramp ideally.
The key to life: Fast bikes, fast cars, fast women. And a Bongo.
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:18 pm

Yep. I did the same on mine. Fairly easy to fix. The leak was pretty obvious as there was fluid all over the subframe and on the drive !

If you've got longish arms, you can actually change it from above i.e. under the bonnet. You may need to remove the air intake. From above you can actually see the seal too. However, to undo the steering pinion pinch bolt, that is easier done from underneath, so ramps are a good idea.

You'll also need some circlip pliers to remove the circlip which holds the seal in place.
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:54 pm

Thanks all. I have the van in the garage tomorrow to have the crank seal replaced, once it is back and cleaned up I will fill up the power steering and track this leak down.

Just one quick question, my steering wheel is not straight when the van drives in a straight line, would this be an opportunity to level out the steering wheel?

Cheers

Mark
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:56 pm

I would do it.

If it's pre air bag it's very simple. :wink:
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:24 am

Aah that worries me a bit now. Its not pre airbag - does this mean the job is a bit of a nightmare?
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:54 pm

Russell Jupp wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:27 am £15 oil seal, and a couple of hours to do.
Hi Russell,

Where did you get the £15 seal from?

I have the same issue and can only find the entire seal kit costing £60.
Russell Jupp
Bongonaut

Post by Russell Jupp » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 am

WebWiz wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:54 pm
Russell Jupp wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:27 am £15 oil seal, and a couple of hours to do.
Hi Russell,

Where did you get the £15 seal from?

I have the same issue and can only find the entire seal kit costing £60.
Hi, it was listed on ebay back in December last year.
Just looked now, and can't find any single oil seals. Just the kit for 60 odd quid.
The key to life: Fast bikes, fast cars, fast women. And a Bongo.
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:06 am

Thanks,

I tried looking as Mike (member on here) sourced a load and sold them on here and ebay a while ago but looks like they've all gone.

Guess I'll have to get the whole kit if I can't get hold of him.

Really didn't want to spend loads as just paid for refurb engine, new rad, oil pump, ATF cooler pipes, etc, etc.. This thing is really breaking the bank.

I want to give the previous owner a clip round the ear for neglecting it so much and not telling me it was in such a state. He was such a cowboy, he had aftermarket alloys with over-sized hub centres but no centric rings. All the load was on the wheel-nuts rather than the hub and he took his kids out in it :shock:

Return to “Techie Stuff”