Post by Mark Norton » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:14 pm

Is there an uprated radiator for improved cooling available? #-o
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Radiator

Post by g8dhe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:58 pm

Why would you need to upgrade it ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Mark Norton
Bongonaut

Post by Mark Norton » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:47 pm

When driven hard the oil seems to go black quicker, probably due to excessive heat? :?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:52 pm

Its presumably a diesel engine then ? Which is why they need to have more frequent oil changes, not from heat but from the fact that the engines work at higher pressures in the cylinders and combustion products get past the piston rings and foul the oil.
Doesn't really matter that oils have improved, the particles still get into the oil and destroy its effectiveness.
How frequently do you do your oil changes ?

With regard to the radiator and cooling system it needs to be maintained, rubber hoses perish, steel pipes rust, radiators and heater matrices block up with crud from the additives in the water.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Mark Norton
Bongonaut

Post by Mark Norton » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:12 pm

I try to change the oil as soon as it looks dirty. Seem to get longer out of the oil if plodding along, but have the necessity to drive flat out for extended periods. (London to Prague in one go ).

Have done the temperature guage mod. Often driving on the temperature guage. :shock:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:06 pm

Is the egr still fitted if so is it working. Egr puts dirty air from the exhaust system back into the inlet manifold, if your burning a bit of oil then the air would be dirty - oily.
Check the crank case breather when hot, I removed mine from recirculation and vented it to an oil catch tank.
Have the valve stem oil seals been done.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:34 am

Northern Bongolow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:06 pm Check the crank case breather when hot, I removed mine from recirculation and vented it to an oil catch tank.
Have the valve stem oil seals been done.
We had this set up for a while and it helped throttle response a little too. However, and apologies for going off topic but I read the breather should be connected to a vacuum. Hence I plugged it back into the turbo. Was I misinformed?
Mark Norton
Bongonaut

Post by Mark Norton » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Thanks, yes I cut off the EGR system and consigned it to the bin nearly 10 years ago! :D it did seem to run better :D

I read in an article from 2010 I have, by Allans Vehicles that he had fitted a "Heavy Duty" radiator to a 2.5td Bongo . Not seen any of these so have ordered a new pattern part radiator.

Has anyone removed the front heater Matrix? #-o
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:30 pm

I think you were not mislead, it probably should be on a vac to assist removal of gasses etc, but mine was just to atmosphere, no catch tank, and improved the breathing and cleanliness of the inlet manifold no end . Hide it from the mot man though, they don't like poss oil drips.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:25 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:30 pm I think you were not mislead, it probably should be on a vac to assist removal of gasses etc, but mine was just to atmosphere, no catch tank, and improved the breathing and cleanliness of the inlet manifold no end . Hide it from the mot man though, they don't like poss oil drips.
Cheers for the reply. I had a catch tank on mine but a cheap one without a baffle and caught very little oil.

As a tip to others I found filling up the oil to 1/3 from minimum on the dipstick reduced the amount of oil in the gasses from the crank case breather pipe which can only help in keeping the turbo and inlet track clean.

Anyway I'd best not divert this thread anymore.

Return to “Techie Stuff”