Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Gripped
Bongolier

V6 HT leads (again!)

Post by Gripped » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:21 am

Hi All

just got our "new" 2001 Bongo V6.

Overall, she seems solid and should be a keeper. However, she has a misfire, which I've diagnose to 2 HT leads which have broken down at the spark plug connection. A common issue I understand.

Anyway, as we are going to convert to LPG, my research tells me that I should go for the genuine Mazda kit. However, given the various quality after market options, (and the fact that the club also sell an aftermarket kit) I wondered if anyone had an update on how well these cheaper options last. It's been a few years since these kits have been around, so I thought there should be a good range of experiences by members on here. It seems logical, that a well made aftermarket lead should be able to be as good as or better than OE.

I note there are UK manufactured kits, which are meant to be OE or better quality. And significantly cheaper. :wink:

Finally, the Mazda OE kit from the club doesn't seem to include the king lead? Any ideas?

I will replace the rotor, dizzy cap and all the HT leads, plus spark plugs. Any advice on what kit to get?

Thanks as always !

:)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: V6 HT leads (again!)

Post by teenmal » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:22 pm

Never had a problem with this company.

https://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Same leads as I used on my V6 .. I suggest you replace .. or at least clean the terminals inside the dizzy cap at the same time ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:48 pm

Thanks for the replies.

What I'm after is feedback from those running LPG and using aftermarket HT lead kits.

Has anyone tried this one? It contains everything I need:

https://mazdabongo.com/product/mazda-bo ... ll-models/
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:20 pm

Here's an old discussion you might be interested in: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67474&hilit=leads+genuine+mazda
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks Ian - that's great.

Definitely a useful thread, but from what it seems to say is that the Magnecor HT leads were ok (apart from incorrect label) and the likely issues were down to a faulty distributor?

I'm am fully prepared to get genuine Mazda parts - (particularly the distributor,) but in my mind, if there are "better than OE" HT leads for much less money, I'd prefer to get those. I was thinking of a combination of genuine Mazda dizzy and rotor, NGK sparks, and aftermarket (better than OE) HT leads.

I am prepared to take advice on this though !
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:30 pm

Ok, so I've reached a compromise (if only BREXIT was this easy).

Ordered genuine dizzy cap and rotor from the club shop, and went for Magnecor HT leads, on the basis that they are a quality item and cheaper. And I like blue. :wink:

Will keep you updated on how they perform on LPG.

Return to “Techie Stuff”