Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Russell Jupp
Bongonaut

Tent frame screws and fastenings...

Post by Russell Jupp » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:44 pm

Afternoon all,
after a little advice pls.

Ive noticed on the Freda that I'm re-furbing, a few of the tent fixings have dropped out of the holes in the AFT.
Someone has already had a go at removing the screws, but have rounded them all off. Ive managed to get one to turn, but its still attached to the 'insert' and I cannot remove it, or any of the knackered ones. They are seriously tight.

So I guess I'll need to cut the heads off the screws, and replace. Are the inserts simply glued into the AFT, and the screws make them act like a rawl plug?
Finally are the inserts available or is there a better alternative?
Thanks
Russ
The key to life: Fast bikes, fast cars, fast women. And a Bongo.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Tent frame screws and fastenings...

Post by g8dhe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:11 pm

The inserts are glued (epoxy based) in into the GRP and are solid aluminium, with just the threaded hole for the bolt. Be aware when gluing them back in there is no air hole behind them so don't cover the sides with the new epoxy, just build it up on the rear surface and then push the inserts in when the epoxy hits the back it will spread back down the sides pushing the air out, otherwise the air gets trapped and will be pushing the inserts back out again as soon as you remove your hand!

Rather then grind the screw heads off drill a hole and use a screw removal tool to extract the damaged screws.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Russell Jupp
Bongonaut

Post by Russell Jupp » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks for that Geoff,
I had a close look at the insert, its appears to be a yellowing plastic? But that maybe the remnants of the old epoxy. And my eyesight is not what it used to be.
So I'm on the lookout for the inserts and screws...
Just another job to add to the ever increasing list.... :D
The key to life: Fast bikes, fast cars, fast women. And a Bongo.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:21 pm

When applying glass fibre resin to aluminium you glass paper the oxide off the aluminium and then you have about 45 minutes to put the resin on in order for it to adhere properly (or so I've read)
Guess the same is true for when you epoxy the aluminium insert's in.

Return to “Techie Stuff”