Leisure battery earth connection to Zig panel and fridge

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bodger Bob
Apprentice Bongonaut

Leisure battery earth connection to Zig panel and fridge

Post by Bodger Bob » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:52 am

Looking to re-run 12v cabling from leisure battery to Zig C8 panel on side conversion and fridge (compressor fridge so only 3amps and will have local on/off switch for when not being used). Existing cables look thin to me as need large cables to avoid voltage drop over 4/5m run. Is it best practice to run a earth/0 volt black cable to the back of the van or just use a local chassis earth point. Planning to use 16mm cable so not cheap and doubles the cost to run +12 and 0v cables. Concerned regarding current and good connection without 0v cable as this will be taking reasonable current if running without mains hook up and also carrying charging current back to battery when on site. Can't see this anywhere on Forum. Planning to take feed from leaisure side of split charger so fridge willrun off main battery /alternator when driving.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Leisure battery earth connection to Zig panel and fridge

Post by g8dhe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:14 pm

Personally I always run my own earth, relying on connections that corrode to a chassis and joints between chassis elements can cause some real hard to diagnose problems. Also if you have any radio/tv equipment using these chassis connections then interference problems will be rife as all the other car related devices will be using the same path.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”