AFT control box location

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

alastairpaul
Apprentice Bongonaut

AFT control box location

Post by alastairpaul » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:43 pm

Has anyone managed to locate the control box for the Ford Freda / Mazda Bongo Auto Free top. Mine is a 1996 Diesel. When I search for it's location I get a brief description that it is underneath the panel at the rear behind the driver just above the wheel arch. Today I went to a lot of trouble to remove the rear panel which required me to dismantle my rear mounted kitchen unit , only to discover that it was not there. Has anyone got any photos or can give a more accurate description as to where I might find it ?. My roof does not open .. I have charged the batteries up to full, the Brake light is on, the engine is running, I am in Park, I am on the level, the 30 amp fuse is ok. The roof was working fine but absolutely nothing happens now. So I thought that if I could get to the control box then I could meter it out and find out what is happening. Many Thanks'
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: AFT control box location

Post by g8dhe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:52 pm

Its located behind the REAR wheel arch on the offside pillar, the diagrams, loom placements and connectors are all shown on the wiring diagrams, the control module connector is M2-01 on the diagrams below (you need to enable Flash in your browser to view the diagrams in details);

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Not as useful as it could be as I can't remember its exact location but its round here somewhere and I don't remember it being at the bottom

alastairpaul
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by alastairpaul » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:26 am

Thanks' a lot guys. This really helps
I will let you know how it goes.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:09 am

Have you tried all the usual checks before pulling the control module out?
Going Up
Make sure that;
The engine is running,
The handbrake is on and the brake light on the dash is lit ??
Now press Up the bleeping should start ??
If not then check the fuses see below,
If they are OK and its bleeping, then check the rubber seal isn't stuck to the roof with age, run a card around to release it.
If that is OK then operate the Up then Down switch LOTS of times, it might be a dodgy switch or it could be corroded motors, by turning the motors even a little bit it might free up the corrosion and let you get the roof up. If so then drop out the motors at the rear and check for corrosion, there is a good Fact sheet if your a member of BongoFury on the process. Otherwise if the roof won't go up still then the is a method of lifting it but its not easy!
If the brake light isn't coming on, then check the little switch at the back of the handbrake (remove console) on passenger side they get dusty and dirty.

Coming Down;
Make sure that;
The engine is running,
The handbrake is on and the brake light on the dash is lit ??
Press the Un-lock button in the AFT. Beeping starts.
Now press Down button.
It will stop half-way for a final visual inspection,
Press Down again.

If not then check the fuses see below,
If the brake light isn't coming on, then check the little switch at the back of the handbrake (remove console) on passenger side they get dusty and dirty.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
alastairpaul
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by alastairpaul » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:33 pm

Thankyou for the further advice.
Yes I have gone through the full procedure for raising the roof including fully charging up both batteries.
When I depress the up/down button there is no beeping or any attempt by the motors to lift or lower the roof.
One interesting point though is that initially the starter did not run when I first tried it, but when I went from park to Neutral it started.Now it starts fine in park again.
Anyway I will drive over and run a card around the rubber seal and have another go.
Thanks' so much for the advice so far. And yes I am a Member of Bongo Fury
Paul
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:36 pm

I would give the roof up/down switch a clean then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1SB0xoJOU
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
alastairpaul
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by alastairpaul » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Thanks' Geoff
Still no luck. I will try taking out the switch tomorrow. Useful video .
Cheers
Paul
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:18 am

Dirty/oxide on switches definitely worth checking - i've cleaned my electric blinds and my roof one with great improvement. Ageing roof motors are also a known problem (and not accessible until/unless roof raised) two new ones finally fixed my roof some years back. Basically, anything involving contacts needs to be checked out. Good luck & keep us posted.
alastairpaul
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by alastairpaul » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:10 pm

Hi Guys

Yes you were right.
The up/down switch in the roof had badly tarnished contacts. I have cleaned them and the roof now works perfectly.
Many thanks for the suggestion as it stopped me from dismantling my kitchen so that I could get to the control box.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:34 pm

alastairpaul wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:10 pm Hi Guys

Yes you were right.
The up/down switch in the roof had badly tarnished contacts. I have cleaned them and the roof now works perfectly.
Many thanks for the suggestion as it stopped me from dismantling my kitchen so that I could get to the control box.
Great news - great when you get a result like that :-)

Return to “Techie Stuff”