Creaking roof

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Creaking roof

Post by cobbdu1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Is it normal for the roof to make a creaking noise when being raised? Our Bongo is new to us so not sure if this is to be expected. If not, could you suggest a solution please?

Thank you.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Creaking roof

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:25 pm

Can't normally hear if the roof creaks as it goes up as it's usual to run the engine while raising to assist with power.
cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Post by cobbdu1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:29 pm

The engine was running and I could still hear it. Can’t discern where the creaking is coming from.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:07 pm

Yes its quite common, just give the rams a good polish with a clean dry cloth. It is more common to occur when the tent starts swaying either due to a breeze or being on uneven ground as the two gas struts move unevenly, it sounds worse inside as the fabric amplifies the sound inside the tent!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:29 am

Thanks Geoff. =D>
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:55 am

Ours does slightly. it has a slight.. left right, left right wobble on.. especially in the winter when cold. Seems smoother in summer whentemps are more close to 20C daily. I may clean those rods myself on the next "winter raise" due in 2 weeks.

Common knowledge on here is you are not supposed to oil them cause it will attract all manner of dirt and grime and scratch
all the rods up making them even less smooth.

Coffee filters are "lint free" and can be used for things where you don't want bits of fluff stuck in the gubbins, I will use old T Shirt rag cotton cloth first to get any dust and deposits off gently then go over with the coffee filter once that is off. Coffeee filter may make any existing dust/deposits scratch the shiny surface. Go gentle on them.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:55 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:55 am Ours does slightly. it has a slight.. left right, left right wobble on.. especially in the winter when cold. Seems smoother in summer whentemps are more close to 20C daily. I may clean those rods myself on the next "winter raise" due in 2 weeks.

Common knowledge on here is you are not supposed to oil them cause it will attract all manner of dirt and grime and scratch
all the rods up making them even less smooth.

Coffee filters are "lint free" and can be used for things where you don't want bits of fluff stuck in the gubbins, I will use old T Shirt rag cotton cloth first to get any dust and deposits off gently then go over with the coffee filter once that is off. Coffeee filter may make any existing dust/deposits scratch the shiny surface. Go gentle on them.

I would not recommend Coffee filters, they are porous and will trap grit etc , we have been servicing this type of component for many years now and would recommend polishing with "Printer Paper" .You polish the component until no signs of colour (black) residue shows on the paper.

Take Care.
cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Post by cobbdu1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:18 pm

I don’t mean to sound dumb but is “printer paper” just paper you put in a printer?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:01 pm

cobbdu1 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:18 pm I don’t mean to sound dumb but is “printer paper” just paper you put in a printer?
Yes just normal run of the mill printer paper that you would use for a ink jet printer etc ,if you do use it you will see what I mean by the colour/black residue,you need to keep polishing untill the paper looks clear/clean.No shortcut for perfection. :lol: :lol:

Take Care.

Return to “Techie Stuff”