Exhaust manifold EGR pipe blank

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

St3f4n
Apprentice Bongonaut

Exhaust manifold EGR pipe blank

Post by St3f4n » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Good evening all

Im wanting to remove the EGR on my 2.5 Bongo.

Done plenty of searching and can see the blank plate for the inlet side is readily available, but I'm wanting to remove the pipe at the exhaust side, I've seen posts saying you can blank it with a plumbing blank? Does anybody know the size needed to save me going into screwfix with an exhaust manifold :lol:

Thanks in advance
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Exhaust manifold EGR pipe blank

Post by Bob » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:23 pm

Pretty sure they were available from Allan's, Plymouth, but the law has changed on doing such things. :?

And welcome aboard. 8)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:09 am

Don't remove the fitting in the rear of the manifold it's a real oddball size and thread, cut the pipe to it and go for a normal external compression fitting and olive, if I remember right it's just a standard 22mm blanking fitting mine survived for years without problems.
Just a word of caution, the egr unit has a position sensor on the top, this sends a signal to the ECU and vice versa to confirm it's open closed when needed, no signal may give dash warning light.
Leave the wiring in place, and the unit, just blank off the pipework. It also isnt possible to confirm if it's removed blamked off should you have trouble at mot time in the future.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:24 am

Why do you want to blank (Disable ) the EGR system ?
It is actually Illegal to do so .
St3f4n
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by St3f4n » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:51 pm

Bob wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:23 pm Pretty sure they were available from Allan's, Plymouth, but the law has changed on doing such things. :?

And welcome aboard. 8)
I did check the link to Allan’s but have seen they no longer list them since the changes last year
Thanks for the welcome
Northern Bongolow wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:09 am Don't remove the fitting in the rear of the manifold it's a real oddball size and thread, cut the pipe to it and go for a normal external compression fitting and olive, if I remember right it's just a standard 22mm blanking fitting mine survived for years without problems.
Just a word of caution, the egr unit has a position sensor on the top, this sends a signal to the ECU and vice versa to confirm it's open closed when needed, no signal may give dash warning light.
Leave the wiring in place, and the unit, just blank off the pipework. It also isnt possible to confirm if it's removed blamked off should you have trouble at mot time in the future.
Top job, thanks, hadn’t thought of going down that route but that sounds like it’ll do the job
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:37 pm

teenmal wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:24 am Why do you want to blank (Disable ) the EGR system ?
Well the biggest advantages would be to stop the engine being deliberately strangled & also stop the inlet track being clogged up with exhaust soot.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 pm

nth wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:37 pm
teenmal wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:24 am Why do you want to blank (Disable ) the EGR system ?
Well the biggest advantages would be to stop the engine being deliberately strangled & also stop the inlet track being clogged up with exhaust soot.

When is the last time you De clogged the Inlet Track ? and would you just blank off a leave it.

Take care.
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:07 pm

I've never done it on my bongo, but done it on plenty of other cars. I went to blank off the bongo EGR valve as soon as I got it but someone had beaten me to it.
I have seen ports on inlet manifolds more than half in diameter. The last one I done I scraped the worst of it off with a screwdriver then had to leave the manifold soaking in petrol overnight before steam cleaning it.
Yes I would leave the EGR system permanently blanked off.

check out some of these > https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&t ... h2ZZMxysTE
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:54 am

nth wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:07 pm I've never done it on my bongo, but done it on plenty of other cars. I went to blank off the bongo EGR valve as soon as I got it but someone had beaten me to it.
I have seen ports on inlet manifolds more than half in diameter. The last one I done I scraped the worst of it off with a screwdriver then had to leave the manifold soaking in petrol overnight before steam cleaning it.
Yes I would leave the EGR system permanently blanked off.

check out some of these > https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&t ... h2ZZMxysTE

nth,this was meant for the OP

"Why do you want to blank (Disable ) the EGR system ?
It is actually Illegal to do so "

I see where you are coming from regarding the IM images , but this is purely down to very poor maintenance (PM) of the vehicle.
I feel very strongly about protecting our future generation .

Take Care.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:13 am

Interesting refreshing my memory on EGR- it reduces NOx emissions but increases particulate emissions. Both are bad for health and the environment: the jury seems to be out on which is worse. I'd say the biggest contribution Bongo drivers can make to public health and the environment is don't drive when you can walk, lower our mileage, and stay out of congested traffic in populated areas where possible (and taxes and levies are encouraging us on that). I wouldnt think removing the EGR is that irresponsible (though i think its now an MOT failure?). I still have my EGR fitted - my inlet manifold has never been maintained. Is that bad?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:08 am

mikeonb4c wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:13 am Interesting refreshing my memory on EGR- it reduces NOx emissions but increases particulate emissions. Both are bad for health and the environment: the jury seems to be out on which is worse. I'd say the biggest contribution Bongo drivers can make to public health and the environment is don't drive when you can walk, lower our mileage, and stay out of congested traffic in populated areas where possible (and taxes and levies are encouraging us on that). I wouldnt think removing the EGR is that irresponsible (though i think its now an MOT failure?). I still have my EGR fitted - my inlet manifold has never been maintained. Is that bad?

Its very bad,especialy if Adrian did not do it when he change the cylinder head on your vehicle [-X [-X [-X
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:07 pm

Good point -can't rule that out. Adrian is very good at keeping costs to customers down where he doesnt think work is necessary (he's even talked me out of things i was going to have done for that reason). I trust him absolutely. If cleaning it was important, I'm sure he'll have done it. All i know is my Bongo runs as good as ever. So, to revisit the question, is it very bad maintenance to leave the manifold alone rather than impose a cost on the customer to remove it and clean it. I've never heard of anyone finding the inlet manifold had caused their Bongo engine to malfunction but i'm not a pro like you. :wink:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:50 pm

mikeonb4c wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:07 pm Good point -can't rule that out. Adrian is very good at keeping costs to customers down where he doesnt think work is necessary (he's even talked me out of things i was going to have done for that reason). I trust him absolutely. If cleaning it was important, I'm sure he'll have done it. All i know is my Bongo runs as good as ever. So, to revisit the question, is it very bad maintenance to leave the manifold alone rather than impose a cost on the customer to remove it and clean it. I've never heard of anyone finding the inlet manifold had caused their Bongo engine to malfunction but i'm not a pro like you. :wink:

Ha Ha you are very good at Trying to Answer Your Own Questions.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:06 pm

Mikey,you have probably read this before but worth another look, this guy knows what he is talking about.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=74614&p=700595&hil ... ld#p700595
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:02 am

teenmal wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:06 pm Mikey,you have probably read this before but worth another look, this guy knows what he is talking about.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=74614&p=700595&hil ... ld#p700595
I remember reading this post. We did stuff like this (gas flow tweaking) to our machines when i was young, cos you do. Great stuff if you're into DIYing it and trying to squeeze any small improvement from the Ranger lump, but imho probably most interesting when race tuning etc. But can you imagine what garage costs would be if you asked a pro to do all that. Ye Gods i only paid £3.7k for the Bongo. And anyway, if i race tuned it it would just fall over on the first bend with all that weight up top. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope, i think i'll leave the inlet manifold alone until/unless there is a major issue.

Return to “Techie Stuff”