Rev counter issue and cold start

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Rev counter issue and cold start

Post by teenmal » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:39 pm

jockodipunto wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:43 pm Right, a bit more of an update (amazing what can be achieved when ones spouse alters ones priorities), anyhoo there is approx. 11.4volts to the glow plug bar which then drops to zero once the glow plug relay clicks. Not tested the glow plugs as yet as I couldn't quite get to them as the cold start relay bracket was in the way and there was an odd bolt holding it on (not got a spanner for it). I will whip off the engine bridge tomorrow so I can get to them better OR get a socket set that fits the bolt - :P

I believe the van was still a touch warm from my shenanigans earlier so the cold start black relay (left one) hadn't activated but neither had the white socketed one - AH HAH!. I swapped the white plug on to the other solenoid and this activated the relay and revs bumped up - looks like the right hand (white plugged one) might be duff so will replace.

Also, while degreasing under the engine, my coat sleeve caught under the oil filter, turns out the filter is weeping oil - might have found the leak...

AND - while fiddling with the NE sensor earlier I must have caught my other sleeve on something as it really smelt of diesel - maybe I need to change those nightmare diesel seals - is that really as bad as people say on the forums?????

Anyway that is it for the night. Time to look for some cold start solenoids. Should I change them in pairs.

Cheers all and thanks for all the advice.

Mark

Is this test with the engine running??
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:11 pm

Yepp it was.
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:11 am

I am having real difficulty trying to source replacement cold start solenoids. Does anyone have a part number or such like that I can use to search again? Can I buy them individually or are there any other options??

Cheers

Mark
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:44 am

jockodipunto wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:11 pm Yepp it was.

You might have a problem then unless the engine was hot, the glow plugs should remain active until the engine warms up or its revved to over 1500 rpm. In cold weather they could remain on most of the day if doing short journeys.

Take Care
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:20 am

No worries. I will keep an eye on that side of things as well.

Okay - well I removed the suspect cold start solenoid this morning but in doing so the plastic spigot (not sure what else to call it) sheared off the solenoid and it is now jammed in the vacuum hose. Does anybody know the dimensions of the vacuum hose that I need to order?

Solenoids are on the way - ordered from Amazon at £8.99 each. I have done a like for like swap part no Mitsubishi K5T49091 if that helps anyone (assuming this is correct no. of course :) )

Thanks again as always.

Mark
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:33 pm

You can test the solenoids simply by putting 12 volts to one side and a neg to the other side, don't worry if you get it the wrong way round, just swap them round, if it clicks it should work, if your a contortionist you can blow through it at the same time and test the vac flow is ok, it's just an air-conditioned vac switch.
They are Mitzi parts, and are fitted to early pajeros etc.
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:01 pm

Hi all - quick update.

Replaced both solenoids and vacuum hose - dead easy and the throttle actuator seems to be moving now as expected (or at least as far as I can tell without the rev counter working) - tested both the white and black as best I can.

However, the white smoke is still there. So what I did next, as advised earlier, was to check the voltage to the busbar during warm up. Sure enough the voltage drops to zero and at that instant white smoke and rough idling (albeit at higher revs than before - assuming this is the work of the now functional cold start solenoids).

So, I know that the NE sensor is dodgy (replacement coming tomorrow), what is the next logical thing to check? Temp sensor?

As always, thanks for all your help.

Mark
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Yup the engine temp. sensor is a definite candidate for checking and replacing suspect its faulty and the ECU is assuming its up to tewmperature and turns the glowplugs off. the sensor is 2 pin type down the side of the engine under the drivers seat its 18-840C on this diagram http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... o=.html#11
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 pm

Okay - thanks. I will check this out. Assuming I need to replace it - am I likely to get a torrent of coolant all over the driveway? :D

If so, at least I get the 'opportunity' to practise bleeding the coolant system, and it might help to flush away the diesel and oil that is covering it at the minute.....

Who knew how much of an exciting journey these Bongos are?

Happy Days!
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:43 am

jockodipunto wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 pm Okay - thanks. I will check this out. Assuming I need to replace it - am I likely to get a torrent of coolant all over the driveway? :D

If so, at least I get the 'opportunity' to practise bleeding the coolant system, and it might help to flush away the diesel and oil that is covering it at the minute.....

Who knew how much of an exciting journey these Bongos are?

Happy Days!
If you need to change the etc sensor do it when engine is cold and header tank cap on ,personally I would change the NE sensor first .

Take Care.
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:42 pm

Thanks for the info.

My NE sensor arrived today so will drop that in tomorrow. Is there anyway to test the etc sensor without removing it from the van?

Neat baking soda and white vinegar did the trick on the oil slick by the way!
Russell Jupp
Bongonaut

Post by Russell Jupp » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 am

Sorry to butt in, but watching this thread with interest….Whats an NE sensor please?!
Russ
The key to life: Fast bikes, fast cars, fast women. And a Bongo.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:22 am

Russell Jupp wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 am Sorry to butt in, but watching this thread with interest….Whats an NE sensor please?!
Russ
I was puzzled like you so googled it

https://youronlinemechanic.com/what-is- ... enerators/

...I was aware of these things (though not the terms) and had hope my old 1995 diesel Bongo would be too old to have such new fangled technology. Clearly not :lol: :roll: :(
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:34 am

On the electrical diagrams the NE sensor is located in the lower right hand corner of the sheet B2-19;

Mechanically its located here 20-H10 http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... o=.html#16
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
jockodipunto
Bongonaut

Post by jockodipunto » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:27 pm

Hello everyone - I have replaced the NE sensor just now and I 'think' all is good as follows-

1. Rev counter immediately worked
2. Cold start solenoids seem to be working as indicated (they were since they were replaced and with new vac pipes but I thought I would just add that in)
3. Voltage to the glow plugs is now sustained a LOT longer then previously.

Admittedly I have not yet started the van first thing in the morning (that will happened tomorrow) but all signs are looking positive.

Once again, thanks for the advice given - it hugely helped during my investigations.
Best Regards

Mark

Return to “Techie Stuff”