Roof wont come down

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Pintomo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Roof wont come down

Post by Pintomo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:17 pm

Morning All,
Apologies if this has been spoken about before, the roof on my N-reg Bongo is fully up and refusing to come down. When the handbrake is on, the roof open warning light on the dash and the beeper stay off. When I release the handbrake, the roof warning light and beeper come on. Its like the system cant read that the roof is up if the handbrake is on? Has anyone ever seen this before? I've tried to operate the roof with handbrake on and off but getting no joy at all. The other thing is that the roof seems to be sitting higher than it normally does, the tent section is really tight when it normally has a bit of movement in it.

I know there is a way to manually get the roof down but I live up beside Inverness and all the garages I've spoken to up here aren't too keen on taking a look at it so even if I forced the roof shut and tied it off I don't really have anywhere to take it to get fixed!

Any help at all would be appreciated, either on the problem or a Bongo friendly garage up here. I'm having to use my wife's car to get to work as the Bongo is out of the game and her patience is wearing a bit thin!

Thanks, Andrew
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Roof wont come down

Post by Bob » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:20 pm

Obvious one - have you pressed the button up in the roof?

Sorry if I'm talking rot, but it has been missed before. :wink:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Try these instructions to the letter!

Make sure that;
The engine is running,
The handbrake is on and the brake light on the dash is lit ??
Press the Un-lock button in the AFT. Beeping starts. (If the roof wasn't fully raised then beeping will start earlier).
Now press Down button.
It will stop half-way for a final visual inspection,
Press Down again.

If not then check the fuses see below,
http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm/default.htm
If the brake light isn't coming on, then check the little switch at the back of the handbrake (remove console) on passenger side they get dusty and dirty.
If the Up/Down button doesn't have any affect then it may be dirty contacts see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1SB0xoJOU
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:50 pm

Splendid Geoff.

If the switch is faulty the electric window switches are identical, but Geoff's 'Refurb video' is excelent. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”