How often should I take out my Bongo?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cobbdu1
Bongonaut

How often should I take out my Bongo?

Post by cobbdu1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:03 pm

I recently bought a Bongo and will be using it only occasionally during this time of year. How often do I need to get it going in order to keep it running smoothly and maintaining the battery charge? Or is this not necessary at all?
ade33
Bongolier

Re: How often should I take out my Bongo?

Post by ade33 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:19 pm

Ours sits outside for weeks at a time without being run, and with a battery in decent nick that shouldn't really be an issue.

Over winter I would check the condition of the coolant in case the temps drop below freezing, but apart from that she just sits there, and starts every time.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:18 pm

Personaly I make sure and run the cars at least once a week, and run the aircon for a while each time as there is a lubricant in the gas to stop seals drying out.

Other problems with long term lack of use include tyres 'flat spotting' and deflating/sidewalls cracking, hoses and belts hardening, oil and coolant 'sludging up'...

None of this will hapen in a couple of weeks but time has a habit of escaping. :wink:
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:51 am

I would take the Bongo out on their birthday, wedding anniversaries and other special occasions. You may also wish to take them down the pub for quiz night to break up the log winter evenings. Maybe Sunday lunch once in a while?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Post by cobbdu1 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:47 pm

Ian wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:51 am I would take the Bongo out on their birthday, wedding anniversaries and other special occasions. You may also wish to take them down the pub for quiz night to break up the log winter evenings. Maybe Sunday lunch once in a while?
Have you been looking at my diary? That was exactly my intention!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:13 pm

The Bongo Meister is All Seeing. :lol:
Soso
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Soso » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:11 pm

Ian wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:51 am I would take the Bongo out on their birthday, wedding anniversaries and other special occasions. You may also wish to take them down the pub for quiz night to break up the log winter evenings. Maybe Sunday lunch once in a while?
Fantastic answer! :lol:

Soso
Strung out on lasers and slash-back blazers...
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:02 pm

Ours gets taken out on the slightest excuse - drive and enjoy :mrgreen:
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Russell Jupp
Bongonaut

Post by Russell Jupp » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Mine gets sorn'd over the winter and covered. But before i do this, i generally check it over, anti freeze efficiency, tyres, etc etc. Also as I'm lucky enough to have workshop with a pit and a ramp, I waxoyl it.
I tend to start it once a week during the winter, let it warm thoroughly, and as already mentioned run the aircon, and the heaters.
I adore my Bongo, and like to take care of it!
Russ
The key to life: Fast bikes, fast cars, fast women. And a Bongo.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:49 am

Russell Jupp wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:42 pm Mine gets sorn'd over the winter and covered. But before i do this, i generally check it over, anti freeze efficiency, tyres, etc etc. Also as I'm lucky enough to have workshop with a pit and a ramp, I waxoyl it.
I tend to start it once a week during the winter, let it warm thoroughly, and as already mentioned run the aircon, and the heaters.
Russ
At face value for me your use of the engine and heaters in that manner (if on your drive/static) during cold weather/Winter would not be beneficial either for the engine and associated mechanicals/oil or for the bodywork/interior (especially if covered) as it would be causing increased condensation/water to collect or be trapped. Obviously it's all subjective but I'm in the camp of drive it or don't.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:58 am

Flanners wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:49 am
Russell Jupp wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:42 pm Mine gets sorn'd over the winter and covered. But before i do this, i generally check it over, anti freeze efficiency, tyres, etc etc. Also as I'm lucky enough to have workshop with a pit and a ramp, I waxoyl it.
Russ
At face value for me your use of the engine and heaters in that manner (if on your drive/static) during cold weather/Winter would not be beneficial either for the engine and associated mechanicals/oil or for the bodywork/interior (especially if covered) as it would be causing increased condensation/water to collect or be trapped. Obviously it's all subjective but I'm in the camp of drive it or don't.

=D> =D> =D>
Russell Jupp
Bongonaut

Post by Russell Jupp » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:48 pm

OK, so Ill be brutally honest....I do drive it once every couple of weeks, I didnt put that in my post, for fear of being branded a criminal, with it being SORN'D... :shock:
I also raise the roof, and open the windows if its fine and dry....
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:59 pm

Russell Jupp wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:48 pm OK, so Ill be brutally honest....I do drive it once every couple of weeks, I didnt put that in my post, for fear of being branded a criminal, with it being SORN'D... :shock:

Looks like its a candidate for the Crusher if used on the public highway.
Russell Jupp
Bongonaut

Post by Russell Jupp » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:06 pm

teenmal wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:59 pm
Russell Jupp wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:48 pm OK, so Ill be brutally honest....I do drive it once every couple of weeks, I didnt put that in my post, for fear of being branded a criminal, with it being SORN'D... :shock:

Looks like its a candidate for the Crusher if used on the public highway.
Here on the edge of Dartmoor, our sleepy village has'nt seen a Police car since 1966.... :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:09 pm

Entirely your business, but there are a lot of fixed and mobile ANPR cameras.

Return to “Techie Stuff”