New Bongo, is this a leisure battery?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cobbdu1
Bongonaut

New Bongo, is this a leisure battery?

Post by cobbdu1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:38 pm

I have two batteries in my new Bongo. This is all new to me. Is one a leisure battery?
cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Re: New Bongo, is this a leisure battery?

Post by cobbdu1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:18 pm

Here is an image:

https://flic.kr/p/2dUTgwm
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:47 pm

No, you have a Northern Japan cold start version, hence you have this switch and valve in the exhaust;

Its normally advised not to use it and preferably disconnect the switch and vacuum hose, in the UK with the salt on the roads the valve is badly exposed and rusts, if the valve sticks shut then the exhaust is blocked with dire running results!

If you want to convert it into a LB then make sure that the +ve terminal connector is well insulated and safely tucked away towards the rear as it remains LIVE and UNFUSED at all times! Then a Split Charge Relay and swap loom kit can be fitted and you have a LB, however the life of the battery might be a bit suspect until replaced, but use what life remains in the battery before replacing ;-)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Post by cobbdu1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:58 pm

That sounds like useful information. Thank you. Can anyone direct me to a guide on how to disconnect the switch and vacuum hose? It’s all new to me so I probably need an idiot’s guide.

The same would be useful for the LB too. Or at least what I should do to the battery as a stop gap before completing the wiring for the leisure battery.

Many thanks for all your advice.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:51 am

See here viewtopic.php?p=704976#p704976 Rooster will provide a kit of whatever you need, or if your local pop over and he can sort you out including disconnecting the old stuff. Basically remove the plug on the back of the switch on the dashboard, after that you would need to replace that part of the exhaust to remove it totally, but simply disconnecting the vacuum hose and sealing the hose end will be sufficient ..... surprised there isn't a Factsheet on removing it Ian!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”